• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Would a new ROM free up some internal storage?

Vance

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
I have around 40mb free on my internal drive, after moving all apps that I can over to SD and clearing the cache. This is usually fine for performance, but I get tired of bumping up against the warning if I install a few more apps, and I am giving up some widgets (like Pandora and WinAmp) by putting the apps on the SD.

I have already rooted, so if I switch to a custom rom, will this use a smaller footprint on my internal storage and give me some breathing room?

possibly but honestly not by much i wouldnt think, its usually the Kernal that goes through the biggest alteration (to increase performance for example).

Doest the droid have like 16gb of internal memory? you must have tons of stuff that can be got rid of surely! if not buy a bigger memory card (if you can) and transfer everything to that. But on a side note i cant believe that out of 16gb you are struggling to free up 40mb ish.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones