• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would it be a bad idea to.....

D

Deleted User

install an app which isnt found in the market place?

I have a desire and have downloaded Amtalee (which im hooked on) and my GF has a wildfire. The app doesnt come up in the market (because it isnt supported) but i have the install file apk, would it be a bad idea to install on her phone, would it work or would nothing happen.

The reason it doesn't show up in the market for the Wildfire is that it has a lower spec than the desire and probably doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the app, most likely screen resolution. If the entire screen isn't visible, i don't know how playable the game will be, so it's not a great idea.

If you are talking about the apk for the paid app and you are thinking about putting it on a phone that isn't sync'ed to the same google account that paid for it, then that is a very bad idea. It's stealing from the developer.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
This is the possible consequences ...

It won't install.

It will install but it won't run.

It will run but you can't play.

It will run and you can play but slowly with poor screen image.

It force closes.

It locks your phone so you need to do a battery pull.

If it doesn't work, you can:

Uninstall it and forget about it.

It won't uninstall, but has no negative effect.

It won't install and leaves service running, reducing battery life.

It won't uninstall and leaves services running that interfere with the phone's normal operation, forcing a reset to stock.

If any one of those possibilities seem not worth the risk to play the game, then I wouldn't try.

Upvote 0
Please keep in mind that you're not stealing the app. You're copying it. The original is still there, you don't take that from them. Please don't confuse those two things, it's irritating.

Besides, he has already bought the app.

It won't brick the phone, it will probably fail to install, since the screen size on the Wildfire is way too small.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones