• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would this work? building computer

looks good. only 2 things....

i'm picky about my psu's i don't know about thermaltake. i only use corsair, seasonic, pcp&c, antec, and on the bottom of the list ocz and fsp. psu is just as important as any other component in the computer if not more. but who knows you might be alright with that one.

also i would not use g.skill in an am3 rig. amd memory controllers are notably weak and gskill has admitted having issues with this gen ddr3 and amd. stay away from gskill and amd....this is from personal experience lol. i would stick with corsair, ocz black, or even for the cheap some of the a-data.

Reactions: Sainix
Upvote 0
looks good. only 2 things....

i'm picky about my psu's i don't know about thermaltake. i only use corsair, seasonic, pcp&c, antec, and on the bottom of the list ocz and fsp. psu is just as important as any other component in the computer if not more. but who knows you might be alright with that one.

also i would not use g.skill in an am3 rig. amd memory controllers are notably weak and gskill has admitted having issues with this gen ddr3 and amd. stay away from gskill and amd....this is from personal experience lol. i would stick with corsair, ocz black, or even for the cheap some of the a-data.

Thank you for the advice ill look into the psu and ram and see what i can find.

Upvote 0
thats a nice psu ;)

i would do different ram..xms profile :/

"Dual Channel for Intel Core i5 & i7 CPU & P55 chipset motherboard"

the ocz thats "black" is made for amd. if you're gonna do 4gigs(2x2) i would look for cas 8 or better and ddr3 1600 or better

The ram is kinda giving my trouble as i am trying to understand what that all means and what im trying to look for in good gaming ram, so any explanations would be loved

Upvote 0
the tri channel kits are for intel :) you wanna go 2 sticks or 4 sticks....not sure if they fixed it with the 800 series northbridge but if you go 4 sticks of ram you might be capped at 1333.

cas is basically how fast the ram cycles...the lower the number the better. the 1600 is the mhz its running at...the higher the better. and no...pny is bad.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Exact same processor just a few dollars cheaper. If the .2 ghz matters to you, you can set it to 3.4 ghz yourself very easily.

Also..

*IF*

You have the spare money when you go to build it, I HIGHLY encourage the 6870.

A single 6870 is beaten by a single 5870 (currently one of the best cards you can get).

However, in crossfire when you use two 6870's. They usually scale better than two 5870's because, they are newer tech. and you can get them for like 40$ more than the 6850..

I am currently running a rig *VERY* similar to yours.

I have two 6870's and there isn't much I can't play at 1080p.

Upvote 0
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Exact same processor just a few dollars cheaper. If the .2 ghz matters to you, you can set it to 3.4 ghz yourself very easily.

Also..

*IF*

You have the spare money when you go to build it, I HIGHLY encourage the 6870.

A single 6870 is beaten by a single 5870 (currently one of the best cards you can get).

However, in crossfire when you use two 6870's. They usually scale better than two 5870's because, they are newer tech. and you can get them for like 40$ more than the 6850..

I am currently running a rig *VERY* similar to yours.

I have two 6870's and there isn't much I can't play at 1080p.

At the moment i am just going to run a single card for now.

i want to run Windows 7 ulti 64 bit, was wondering what OEM is and why its cheaper?

trying to learn abt the SSD so ill look up info on it to see whats up with them im not sure exactly at the moment

Upvote 0
I would not go for OEM version of windows.. you can install it on a computer once and thats it. You can't ever decide "well let me upgrade this computer to windows 8 and switch my old computer to windows 7 with the OEM copy I got a while back!"

Aside from that, I have nothing against 6850, just wanted to mention something to think about for the future.

SSD = solid state drive.

I would skip over that for your first build.

SSD's are basically like turbo charged hdd's. They can read/write a lot faster the problem is, when reading/writing small files they move about the same speed.

They are also pretty expensive. For the price of one 60 gig ssd, you could buy another terabyte HDD.

They unlike HDD do not have moving parts inside, its all electronic, therefore they are capable of much higher speeds.

Still not exactly "worth it" at the moment for most people. Even in high end builds a lot of people will spend over a thousand or more and leave out SSD's..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones