• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you pay $25/GB for data?

Medion

Android Expert
Aug 14, 2010
Auburn, WA
After reading the title, I'm sure your first thought it to hit the quick reply button and to type "Hell no," with some expletives thrown in. But please, hear me out.

Wireless carriers are all about ARPU (average revenue per user). We're moving to a time where voice minutes and text messages will be included with the data package. For casual users, 2GB is more than enough for all the voice calls, texts, and light surfing that these people do. Thinking Verizon is going to subsidize a smartphone on a $30/month plan? Not willingly. Their profit margins are already pretty slim on an ARPU of $65 (estimated) per user.

So, assuming that future mobile plans are along these lines (VOIP and Text built-in), would you pay $50/month for a 2GB plan? $100 for a 4GB plan? I could honestly see them pulling something like $60/month for 2GB, and $10/GB thereafter. This would raise the entry level, while heavier users would be in the $80-$120/mo range.

However, something like this is years down the road. I honestly expect that, after the upcoming family data plans, we'll first start to see night/weekend data (IE, $30 for 2GB, with night/weekends data no going to your cap).

I also wouldn't mind, in the interim, if all smartphone data plans were $15 for 1GB (tethering included), with your choice of either a 64kbps throttle, or $10/GB overage whenever you hit your cap. This would give the carriers the network management they want, give them a lower bar to entry for smartphone users, and would encourage tethering to get those overage charges.

I see that the carriers are really looking at wifi. I would have a problem if they charged or tried to charge me for using my own wifi at home.

If I buy my own phone outright, sign up for the cheapest plan, use a voip service over my ISP - it's none of the carrier's business. I'm not using their network. And they are not subsidizing my phone, either.
Maybe for a shared plan. I have a user who is phone only. I don't even normally go above 5M per month. I use my own wifi since I'm already home. I have Skype on wifi also.

Upvote 0
I see that the carriers are really looking at wifi. I would have a problem if they charged or tried to charge me for using my own wifi at home.

If I buy my own phone outright, sign up for the cheapest plan, use a voip service over my ISP - it's none of the carrier's business. I'm not using their network. And they are not subsidizing my phone, either.
Maybe for a shared plan. I have a user who is phone only. I don't even normally go above 5M per month. I use my own wifi since I'm already home. I have Skype on wifi also.
That sort usage I don't think they have a problem with. Its people using the Hot spot so that others don't have to pay for a service,that,I think is what they are concerned with.

Upvote 0
Absolutely not, those prices are outrageous. They want us to buy these phones with amazing cloud services and media, yet they wanna take away what powers them. It is pretty silly. On top of them telling you that you can't tether YOUR DATA you already payed for, on top of the other BS.

At the rate things are going between carriers like AT&T and Verizon, I'd imagine their at home service will get worse in the same right as the mobile side of things.

I'm not a heavy data hog, but there has been a few times tether has saved my during a computer format or power outage, and I think it is silly what these companies are doing to the consumers.

Upvote 0
What makes you so sure voice minutes will be given away by the carriers? It just gives them more tools to... screw us and make money by keeping them separate. Especially given the continuing lower use of phone vs. data, their "Do you like the 34 minute plan or would you like to step up to our next tier of 7000 minutes?" just seems like a cash cow. Big companies don't like giving up cash cows. I don't see them giving away minutes, unless it's so low as to probably incur penalties for going over.

Upvote 0
What makes you so sure voice minutes will be given away by the carriers? It just gives them more tools to... screw us and make money by keeping them separate. Especially given the continuing lower use of phone vs. data, their "Do you like the 34 minute plan or would you like to step up to our next tier of 7000 minutes?" just seems like a cash cow. Big companies don't like giving up cash cows. I don't see them giving away minutes, unless it's so low as to probably incur penalties for going over.

I'm sorry, but you are misunderstanding. Voice is moving to VOIP (Voice over internet protocol), similar to Skype, GV, and others. Carriers will eventually move to get THEIR VOIP solution to be the primary choice over these 3rd parties. The best way to do that is to make voice = data, and then prioritize their own traffic. But, I could be being shortsighted, and they might just re-monetize it in the same way.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but you are misunderstanding. Voice is moving to VOIP (Voice over internet protocol), similar to Skype, GV, and others. Carriers will eventually move to get THEIR VOIP solution to be the primary choice over these 3rd parties. The best way to do that is to make voice = data, and then prioritize their own traffic. But, I could be being shortsighted, and they might just re-monetize it in the same way.

Voice is already data, and has been since the analogue cells were switched off. There are problems with making cell networks VOIP to do with how cell phones identify themselves to the network. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones