• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Would you trust someone on craigslist to root your phone?

Craigslist is like eBay. U can find a lot of crap there but good stuff as well. I think that paying someone $25 just to teach u how to root is just dumb,no offense. There's plenty of FREE info on this topic around here that will show you how to do it urself step by step. But anyways is ur $ spend it how u want to. Make sure he knows what he's talking about or those $25 may become a headache.

Upvote 0
First, hopefully it wont be a craigslist evo root murderer, second, there are videos on youtube and all over with step by step instructions. I would try that first and you have no idea who it is. Also i would ask if he is in any android forums, if he is find his username and see if he knows what he is talking about. Anyone could try to root a phone, but what matters is if they really know what they are doing. $25 bucks is a great price, but a 199+25 if he doesnt know what he is doing = a damn expensive paperweight

Upvote 0
There is a guy here locally that will show me how to root my phone for $25. Would you trust someone on craigslist?
No, I'd do it myself. Sure, that's easy to say already knowing how, but I did it with my Hero using this forum and XDA. Hit a glitch flashing a recovery, but I got help from some cool folks in the Hero forum, and I learned a ton in the process.

Evo was more complex to root (toast 1/2), but that went smooth as silk. If you're patient and methodical, and don't panic if you hit a glitch, it's not like rocket science or brain surgery. It's just following carefully a procedure.

Upvote 0
yeah i was scared coming from 2.2 i didn't root my phone until past week(having more fun now lol) that only other root phone was the moment but was way easier, after rooting this one is i learned a lot and this guys help me too, you shouldn't pay for it. Donate money to your favorite rom maker instead, they really help to make the phone more fun

Upvote 0
well i would definitely try to root myself first...

but the question is about trust on craigslist...

my biggest fear would be him stealing your phone. bring a friend, ask to see his evo and that it is rooted. make sure he has actually rooted a 2.2 phone. if all is good it would probably be ok.

all things considered if he actually knows what he is doing 25 bucks isn't that bad.

before you flame me on the cost of this being ok, people pay far more for far less. its a service so its not that much money for something you can't or don't want to try. it costs more to fill your gas tank. some have spent 30$ on a case for the evo that they decided they don't like and are stuck with it anyways.

i don't think android is big and popular enough yet for some random that doesn't know what he is doing to post this service. unless he wants to steal your phone.

with that said i would still root myself, but to each his own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones