1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

wow- lifelong blackberry user

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by perryh, Feb 26, 2011.

1. perryh

perryh Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    First off i must say i have never written any posts i mostly just read. Having owned 7 different blackberry's currently had the torch figured id try the atrix, hardware specs alone were to good not to. Biggest concern was not being able to get off the bbm addiction. Oh man what a phone, and not just in terms of raw horsepower but the ability to customize. Being a bit of a geek (just built a water cooled computer) first thing to do was a ton of reading on android os and options, decided to root the phone, went smoothly enough, then added launcher pro WOW. Even without a keyboard(another big hesitation i had) swype put to rest all problems there. i cant speak for anyone else but being a lifetime berry user and even knowing some of the stuff there coming out with in the near future(neighbor's a hardware designer for rim lol) i cant be happier. No phones perfect I've seen the critiques here about the yellows not yellow enough or the cameras not good enough (or as one guy summed it up perfectly-if you expected it to shit rainbows you will be letdown) but as a phone its great lol and hard to beat. anyhow just my 2 cents

Advertisement

mdunn1066, mgymnop, s.m.knipe and 2 others like this.
  2. element526

element526 Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Space Coast
    Having come from a Blackberry myself the only thing I think a stock BB does better than a stock Android phone is e mail. Customization to meet your needs Android smokes BB IMHO.

3. MosIncredible

MosIncredible Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    DFW, TX
    Agree 100%. I used the Bold 9000 for 2 years, had the Torch for a day, couldn't stand it and returned it to wait for something new and viola. This phone comes out and gives me everything I ever wanted. Only thing I miss is no-look texting and BBM but that list was dwindling anyway.

4. perryh

perryh Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    personally its easier for me to read my emails on my atrix than it ever was on any bb that i had and i had the curve, bold 900, storm, bold 9700 then torch lol, those are the recent ones wont talk about any models before the curve

5. Jp77

Jp77 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    Why so? Just curious. I have bb bold 9000 and i have 3 email accts. One of my few concerns about moving to atrix is bb email is very good.

6. perryh

perryh Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    i dont use bes just gmail hotmail and my work account which is nothing fancy, maybe im missing something but the email app on the atrix seem alot easier to use then the bb and when i say easier to read i mean the actual layout on the screen, again may be person dependant but ive been a crackberry user for a longtime and never thought i would ever switch . as they say never say never lol

7. Jp77

Jp77 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    Im waiting for mine. Howvare you dealing without bbm?

8. Evil.Bonsai

Evil.Bonsai Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    tech stuff
    Austin, TX
    I don't understand the acclaim for swype. My thumbs know how to type and where all the letters are. Trying to move a single finger to all the letters to spell a word is very frustrating to me. I KNOW the letter I want is on the left (or right) side of the keyboard, but I tend to fine-tune directions as my finger gets closer to the letter. So instead of nice neat lines between letters, I end up with a curvy, jagged line from one letter to the next. Swype interprets this as different letters and I end up with bad results.

Now, if they could use the swype algorithm for my thumb typing on the multi-touch keyboard, THAT would be awesome (really? you think I just typed 'ex epfion'? THAT's a word? How about 'exception', you dumb keyboard.)

9. CyberPunk7t9

CyberPunk7t9 Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    I'm a liquid-cooled computers builder myself and so looking forward to own the Atrix 4G too :)
    Congrats on your Atrix.

10. rthomas10

rthomas10 Member
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    unemployed
    San Diego
    BB user from way back. work gave me one from 2003 to 2007 when I got laid off. :( I got my own after that and loved it (curve) as I was used to having the connectivity in my pocket. (can you say crackberry?)

First android phone with the atrix and I'm getting it figured out. Love that you can customize stuff although I'm not as customized as some around here. It'll take time but I love this phone.

11. RyanSantaAna

RyanSantaAna Newbie
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    TX
    I have had the BB8330, 8900, and 3G. My wife and I loved BBM. She got an iPhone and I got the Atrix. So far so good for both of us. I heard the iPhone has a BBM-esqu app, called "WhatsApp" (sp?). I would like to find somehting like that so she and I can tell when we're ignoring each other lol!

12. droidfoshizzle

None

Feb 22, 2011
    im also a life time bb user and this is my first android phone.. couldn't be happier! i can't believe how fun a phone can be. my wife has a iphone 4 and i much prefer the android platform.

when i showed my wife the 3D buildings in google maps and that her iphone didn't have that, she was stoked.

13. perryh

perryh Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    yeah bbm was the hardest part but i use gtalk now and whatsapp, and whatsapp works across all platforms so in a way better than bbm. i think it all comes down to how much you loe your bbm, i thought about switching a few times for me the atrix was the tipping point lol

14. ycrazyy

ycrazyy Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    It was very hard for me to leave BBM, but I use Kik (I like it a lot better than WhatsApp since it has actual sent / delivered / read status) and so far I am extremely pleased. The Atrix is light years ahead of where my 9000 and 9700 were.

15. s44

s44 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Try the Thumb Keyboard. ;)

You can also turn on autocorrect on a lot of regular keyboards (e.g. Gingerbread stock, Smart Keyboard Pro)...

Evil.Bonsai likes this.
  16. kenio8185

kenio8185 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2010
    If you guys love bbm so much, get the pingchat app, it's almost the same thing.

17. perryh

perryh Newbie
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    just from this thread alone ive learned about a few good messaging apps but i guess the big thing with bbm was everyone had the same thing, maybe google will come out with a push version that doesn't need to stay online all the time and it can be preinstalled on new phones that way at least theres some consistency across all the phones. think thats all that made bbm so great, everyone had it and the whole D and r thing other than that its just a messaging app

18. MosIncredible

MosIncredible Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    DFW, TX
    Yep. The big point behind BBM was that everyone who owned a Blackberry used BBM. It was as simple as spotting someone with a Blackberry and then exchanging pins. I too hope that there will be some consistency across the platform.