• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

scoob55

Jun 15, 2010
VA
ok so i have been getting pissed lately because my mytouch 3g has been running extremely slow. it would take about a year to open messaging, browsers took longer, and so on. i bought setcpu (overclocking app) and wow......it now takes nothing for me to do anything on my phone. its faster than it was when i first opened it. cant believe i never heard of this before......if you dont have it, get it....(root users)

The higher the clock speed, the faster you go through the battery. SetCPU allows you to set profiles to run faster st some points (when charging for example) and UNDER clock for others (like when the screen is off). If you play your cards right with seeing some of your profiles, you can offset whatever extra juice you're burning at the high end, and maybe even come out ahead.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, your assertion is correct. When I first rooted my droid, it was running at 550 mhz, and I could only bump it up to 600. It wasn't until I swapped out the kernel that I could really bump up the performance.

I've never heard of being able to overclock with a stock ROM. Some ROM's use kernels that are capable of both overclocking and undervolting the CPU. It seems counterintuitive...usually in PC's for example, you need to bump the voltage up to overclock, but somehow the dev's do it.

So then, with the right kernel you can both overclock, if the CPU can handle it, and run it undervolted which can have a positive effect on battery use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones