• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wrong time zone (sort of)

truelove79

Android Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2010
Peoria, IL
www.linnstreet.com
So my Nexus shows the wrong time zone, sort of. I'm using the automatic time zone set by the network. The actual time and offset from GMT is correct, but the label of the time zone is wrong. My time zone is Central time which is GMT - 6. My phone says it's using mountain time, but it still says GMT - 6 (Mountain time is actually GMT - 7). I've included a screenshot to show you what I mean. It's really strange. Even all my appointments says in parenthesis (Mountain Standard Time) but the times are still all correct (since it's using the Central time offset of -6 rather than the mountain time offset of -7), so I guess it's not a huge issue other than being really weird. Setting it manually obviously works, but that is a janky solution.

Anyone see anything like this. My wife has a Nexus too and hers is correct. It says Central time GMT - 6. But mine says Mountain time GMT - 6.

Screenshot_2012-01-11-23-31-11.png

My nexus is also set to use the network time zone. I am on Eastern Standard Time, which is GMT -5:00.
However the calendar general preferences home time zone reads "GMT-4:00 Eastern Standard Time".
My calendar events display the correct time UNTIL selected for edit. If I edit an event displaying 6:00pm, the edit screen shows 10:00pm, with a small grayed out "6:00pm EST" below and "GMT+0:00 Greenwich Mean Time"

A bit confusing and definitely something wrong here.

Upvote 0
My nexus is also set to use the network time zone. I am on Eastern Standard Time, which is GMT -5:00.
However the calendar general preferences home time zone reads "GMT-4:00 Eastern Standard Time".
My calendar events display the correct time UNTIL selected for edit. If I edit an event displaying 6:00pm, the edit screen shows 10:00pm, with a small grayed out "6:00pm EST" below and "GMT+0:00 Greenwich Mean Time"

A bit confusing and definitely something wrong here.

EST is GMT - 5. But Eastern Daylight Time (right now) is GMT - 4. I just checked my settings and calendar settings, and both are correct. It says Eastern Daylight Time GMT - 4:00.

Upvote 0
The time and zone for events entered on the phone appear correctly. However, events synced to the phone have the problem.
The time and zone appear correctly when viewing the calendar. The problem occurs when an event is selected for edit. The edit screen displays the time as GMT-0:00.

Checking/unchecking time zone settings, in the calendars preferences and in the phone settings, give the same result.

Upvote 0
I was having problems with the appointment time changing to Atlantic time zone when it showed on my S Calendar. I have Galaxy S3. Because of restrictions for work IT, I can't sync my work Outlook calendar with personal email or personal cell phone. So I've been inviting myself to work appointments, by including personal email in appointment invite. When downloaded appointment or synced phone with gmail calendar, the appointment would show in the calendar on Atlantic time. When I opened the appointment,sometimes it would still show the Atlantic time, and sometimes it would show local time. Read, and read and read lots of posts about this.

My solution that has worked is to go into phone calendar app (S Calendar), select the calendars button or Settings>Calendars. Then I uncheck "My calendar". Now it works! The appointment time set up in Outlook or Google calendar match the time on my phone.

Whew...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones