• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xperia U and various "quirks" - Help Please!

Morning all,

I'm a newbie to this forum (even though I've been registered for quite a while), so please bear with me.

First, let me explain that I've had dozens of Android handsets, as well as iPhones and various WP7/WP8 handsets too, so I don't consider myself to be a novice when it comes to battery saving etc. (anyone like me who had a HTC HD7 or HTC Desire HD will be well versed in how to save battery life!).

I've recently bought a Sony Xperia U (purchased 10th Jan 2013). I charged it up to 100% yesterday, and within approximately 30 minutes of removing the charger, the battery level dropped to 99,98,97, and all the way down to about 89%. Funnily enough though, once it got down to about 85%, the battery seemed to stabilise somewhat, and the power drain became more normal, leaving me with about 55% after around 6.5hours of use (which, considering I was constantly playing with the phone, wasn't too bad).

I charged the phone up again last night. I put it on charge at around 9.30pm and took it off at 6.15am.

First, when I tried to unlock the phone, the screen didn't come on. I ended up having to remove the battery and re-insert it.

Then, when the phone powered back on, it only had 95% battery (even though it had been taken off charge literally 2 minutes beforehand).

Then, the phone told me that the SIM card had been removed and re-inserted, so it switched itself off and restarted.

What the hell is going on? Is the phone REALLY this glitchy? Does the battery improve over time or am I stuck with it as it is?

For reference:

- Model Number ST25i
- Android Version 4.0.4
- Baseband Version u8500-49020905-P2H_EC01
- Kernel Version 3.0.8+Builduser@BuildHost#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 10 16:04:56 2012
- Build Number 6.1.1.B.1.10

Please help - My phone is still within the 7 day return period, so I'm seriously thinking about taking it back to the store.

Thanks in advance :)
Mark

My advice, take it back for exchange/refund.

I haven't had any of the issues you have had, but having to pull the battery to wake tho phone? Sounds like you have a duff one, it's actually a decent phone.

Thanks fuzzface :)

Oddly enough, the phone seems better this morning. I took it off charge exactly an hour ago, and it's only dropped to 98%. I've been on Twitter/Facebook and checked my emails too.

Also, the phone hasn't told me that I've removed the SIM card, and I haven't had to perform a battery pull. Things are looking up (touch wood!).

I've got until Thursday to return/exchange it under the Carphonewarehouse 7 day no quibble policy, so I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend and see what happens.

I actually do like the phone - I'm only using it as a temporary replacement while I save my cash for something top-end (my last phone was stolen and wasn't insured :( ), and for that purpose it's perfect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones