• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[XT603]Moto Admiral 2.3.4 USB

Roam8

Lurker
Aug 12, 2012
I provided the device info in the Title as instructed but, I'm pretty sure this would apply to any Android device running Gingerbread...

The digitizer and hard buttons (Vol+,Vol-,Camera and, Power) have all stopped responding. I'm 92 days away from an upgrade with Sprint, so I'm not buying a new phone or paying for a repair.

Of course, I always had my phone set to use as a flash drive so when the digitizer quit, it became stuck that way. Now, with decent temporary replacment in hand i can't get any of my tools (QPST, CDMA Tool,etc...) to recognize the XT603, even though I can access the device via USB with ADB.

So, my question is, What files (default.prop, build.prop, etc...) do I need to modify and what strigs specifically do I need to change to set the Debug mode and other options required for recognition via "USB COM" port?

Feel free to point me to the proper Sub-Forum or another developer forum entirely if this isn"t the proper venue for this question...

Thanx!

Yeah... I knew of the ability to simulate taps and swipes via adb... but i figure my chances we're pretty slim of entering the swipes, key inputs, etc to configure the device. I was thinking more along the lines of editing build.prop od default.prop with the appropriate strings... (ro.debuggable=1,etc.)

I'm grey on how to copy them once i"ve made the mods... default.prop sits on the root directory... how the hell do you remount for RW in that directory?

I also hope that someone in an "unloved devices" forum could confirm a theory for me...

are not files that existed in the original image stored elsewhere in the phone?

I know that some modified files, return to original code on device reboot leading me to believe there is a cached copy that is checked against the running copy... and re-copied if the running file doesn't match...

one possible way around this would be to deposit the file in the cached section and when the run file doesn't match? the rewritten file gets copied!

Just spitballin' here.. this has become kinda a pet project.. sides.. I really don't want to have to call sprint for all my settings

Thanx

Upvote 0
well im not certain about editing default.prop will enable diag mode, but all the root directory files are actually part of something call rootfs. all those files get unpacked from the kernel ramdisk on every boot. to edit them youll need to dump the kernel partition, unpack the ramdisk from the boot.img and edit the files you want, then repack all the ramdisk with the zimage to make the boot.img. from there just getting it back on your device will suffice :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones