• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

heathershipp

Mar 29, 2010
The sunshine state! :D
My friend has the Motorola backflip and wants to use YouMail. I told him he has to import his contacts through google to make it easier. He can't seem to figure out what to do. I asked him if he synced it and he said it isn't working. All of his contacts are in his phone. Is there a way he can set up the YouMail to play the standard greeting if he doesn't use google? Thanks in advance!

[edit]
Start by downloading and installing Cyrket - ContactSync from market. Sync to gmail. Once they are there, in gmail (on your computer) export them. Then log into youmail and upload them.

[edit] The below is a long way, just found an easier one, see above

My friend has the Motorola backflip and wants to use YouMail. I told him he has to import his contacts through google to make it easier. He can't seem to figure out what to do. I asked him if he synced it and he said it isn't working. All of his contacts are in his phone. Is there a way he can set up the YouMail to play the standard greeting if he doesn't use google? Thanks in advance!

I used to use youmail; the problem is you need to upload your contacts to youmail. You need to get your contacts onto gmail; once there you can export them and upload them to youmail.

Now to sync them from the phone to gmail (if that is not working already). 1st turn off contact sync for g-mail [menu-->settings-->Google sync..--> and uncheck contacts and calender]

Now back up and go into accounts. Add a new account as a corprate sync. You are adding gmail as a corp sync, here are the settings:

1. Enter google\username@gmail.com as the domain\username (where username is your full gmail e-mail address)
  2. Enter your gmail password
  3. Leave "Use secure connection" checked
  4. Enter your full Google Account email address username@gmail.com
  5. Enter m.google.com into the Server field
  6. Click Next
  7. Check the new gmail sync account
  8. Uncheck e-mail
Go into messages and select the g-mail sync account, then hit the circle arrows in upper left corner. This should sync the contacts to gmail. Once the contacts are synced, go back to google syncronization and select contacts, and sync (menu-->sync). This should now start normal sync with gmail. Once done, you can delete the g-mail sync account and be back to normal with the contacts uploaded

I have always used g-mail for my contacts, so I have not personally tried this. Please PM me if it does not work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones