• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Your choice for best Droid X case...and why?

After much debate, I just placed my order for the Phantomskinz Carbon Fiber skin. I really do not like the bulk cases add and the more I read about the phantomskinz, the more I love....plus I think the carbon fiber black looks awesome :)

Promo code "summersale2010" also worked perfectly and gave me a 30% discount...for 20 bucks, I don't think I can go wrong with my choice

Upvote 0
Well, the box was just a snap plastic thing, so looks just like I got it from the store. Even if the Ebay one is like the same, it would be better worth it, so much cheaper.

I'm leaning this way as well. I bought two Rocketfish cases tonight and I'm going to take them back. They seem really cheap. Not worth $25 + tax IMO.

Upvote 0
It won't protect your phone if you drop it though. :(

I do realize this....but honestly, I've only dropped one phone one time. Yes, I know it only takes one time but I'm so careful with my phone....plus I'm hoping to find a case in the near future that will be more of what I'm looking for. Call me picky but I really don't like the ones that have been released ATM

Upvote 0
I am looking forward to these by Seidio and i am also considering using the Carbon fiber Chromatics from Phantom skinz.

Seidio:

CSR6MTDX-BK-2T.jpg

CSR6MTDX-BK-3T.jpg

Phantomskinz: Might just use these alone

Droid-X-Black-Carbon-Fiber.jpg

I might just get both, and use the phantomskinz primarily and the case, if i am going to be out, like at school..

those are really nice i just got this one blue for me pink for my wife they fit great and it feel like the phone dont have a case its so nice and slim.
229769327_photobucket_2254_.jpg

Upvote 0
well...i REALLY want to be able to use the docks, so i think that im just gonna go with ghost armor and a clip...but i cant find a clip. preferably one with the screen facing in. anyone got a link to one?

BUT..that seidio looks awesome to..so maybe ill wait.

also, the docks have that removable peice, will any of these cases fit with it removed.?

Upvote 0
After much debate, I just placed my order for the Phantomskinz Carbon Fiber skin.
Just put mine on this weekend. I used the TechTips on the site:

1. A common household hair dryer may be used to help dry the pattern at Step #13. Be careful to use it sparingly and only on the lowest setting. The film can burn or shrink if overheated.
  2. Making an application solution using water and a very small amount of baby wash or baby shampoo will allow for easier alignment of the film with the edges and cut-outs and will give the more time for installation.
Took about 30 minutes. It would have been a real chore without the soap/water solution and the hair dryer on low. These two steps made it a lot easier.

Reactions: jbhumph
Upvote 0
I just got a Cellet case and when I put the phone in, it automatically switches to the car dock ? There isnt a magnet in the case so I dont know why its doing this.

edit--after further review it does not activate the car dock..When you put the phone in the case you just get the notification but it never activates it.

Upvote 0
So I just received the Ebay version of the Rocketfish case in Red.

Initial Impressions:

• Unfortunately I do not have my previous Rocketfish case (as I just returned it) but the Ebay case appears to be darker in color.
  • It does make the phone noticeably thicker and slightly wider but I personally do not mind.
  • The texture feels slightly more grainy than the Rocketfish.
  • There is a stronger scent of the "Rubber" paint than the Rocketfish. It almost feels and smells like the case was just colored lol.
  • So far in my limited hands on, there is no discoloration of the case nor any staining on my hands (Not sure in the future though!)
  • There is some chipping along the edges of where the two pieces meet, but it's actually less apparent than my Rocketfish. (Picture #3)

Conclusion:

There certainly is a different feel than the Rocketfish case (albeit a slight one), but the price difference makes it manageable ($5.00 vs $25.00). If I would make this purchase again, I would.

Cool thing about the case:

The case includes a coin slot on the right side for users to easily dissemble! :cool: (Picture 4)

Pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_2654.JPG
    IMG_2654.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2655.JPG
    IMG_2655.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0
So I just received the Ebay version of the Rocketfish case in Red.

Initial Impressions:

• Unfortunately I do not have my previous Rocketfish case (as I just returned it) but the Ebay case appears to be darker in color.
  • It does make the phone noticeably thicker and slightly wider but I personally do not mind.
  • The texture feels slightly more grainy than the Rocketfish.
  • There is a stronger scent of the "Rubber" paint than the Rocketfish. It almost feels and smells like the case was just colored lol.
  • So far in my limited hands on, there is no discoloration of the case nor any staining on my hands (Not sure in the future though!)
  • There is some chipping along the edges of where the two pieces meet, but it's actually less apparent than my Rocketfish. (Picture #3)

Conclusion:

There certainly is a different feel than the Rocketfish case (albeit a slight one), but the price difference makes it manageable ($5.00 vs $25.00). If I would make this purchase again, I would.

Cool thing about the case:

The case includes a coin slot on the right side for users to easily dissemble! :cool: (Picture 4)

Pictures:

Exact same case I received today, for only 5 bucks it is a great deal. I am extremely pleased with it.

Upvote 0
Just put mine on this weekend. I used the TechTips on the site:

1. A common household hair dryer may be used to help dry the pattern at Step #13. Be careful to use it sparingly and only on the lowest setting. The film can burn or shrink if overheated.
  2. Making an application solution using water and a very small amount of baby wash or baby shampoo will allow for easier alignment of the film with the edges and cut-outs and will give the more time for installation.
Took about 30 minutes. It would have been a real chore without the soap/water solution and the hair dryer on low. These two steps made it a lot easier.

Thanks for the tips! I should have mine tomorrow :)

Upvote 0
Got the Phantomskinz in the mail today...VERY, very easy to apply and I think it looks great! I found it very forgiveable as far as giving you another chance to reposition pieces as long as you don't aply a lot of pressure to it at first. Once you start to really press down, it adheres very well.

Not sure if I'm going to leave the top pieces on it but LOVE the way the back looks and feels. Phone grip is a lot better...not that it was bad before but after holding it with these applied, it just feels better to me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones