• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your reading genre/type

What's the type of genres that you read?

• Total voters
The only Brandon Sanderson I've read are the ones he made for Wheel of Time, and well, HE'S GOOD. Fast paced, exciting, yet having a nice level of detail. Not sure if its just because everything he needs, the entire WoT universe is already placed in so much detail, but he's a good writer.

Dude! You need to read Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Alloy of Law

Upvote 0
Haven't the time/ patience to read all the replies in this thread at the moment (supposed to be doing homework :rolleyes: )

I read:

Science Fiction
Fantasy
Historical non-fiction
Biography
Science non-fiction
Mathematics history (non-fiction, though that is probably a given)
Classic works of fiction (reading Les Miserables right now, for reasons largely unknown)
Manga (a little-- no time or money to really get into it)

I prefer to read hard scifi, but for some reason tend to write fantasy...

"Horror" as a general rule tends to not be very scary (or terribly interesting... sorry, Stephen King, but you got boring by the time I left high school).
Romance just is not my thing.
I occasionally dabble in mystery and police procedurals (V.I. Warshawski being the primary thing, though I am also slowly working my way through the Shadow pulps).

Upvote 0
Hi Roze, I'm wondering whether you could add Literature as a category in the poll, as that's mostly what I read these days.

There are a lot of interesting novels that I would have to categorize as Literature, even though they're popular, because I don't know how else you would describe them, except possibly as "Mainstream", such as The Wasp Factory, Catcher in the Rye, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Catch 22, Life of Pi, Cloud Atlas etc.

But also greats like The Grapes of Wrath, Animal Farm, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Midnight's Children, anything by Kafka etc. which are more obviously considered "Literature".

And Aldous Huxley's Brave New World - I know you could call it Science Fiction, but it is also Literature, like Orwell's work. And then of course you've got the Latin American magic realists and metaphysical writers like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and my favourite Jorge Luis Borges.

Not to forget exasperatingly clever postmodern metafiction such as Italo Calvino's If on a Winter's Night a Traveller.

Now I don't want you to think I've just reeled off my school curriculum, because these are books and authors that I read for myself for fun.

I used to read a lot of Horror and Science fiction then moved onto more "serious" stuff, and now I don't feel inclined to read any more Horror (no more Richard Laymon for me lol, although I still think writers like Clive Barker offer something special), but will always try to find time for Science Fiction, my favourite being Philip K Dick.

The first book I ever read as an adult, which made me realize that reading was fun, was Stephen King's The Tommyknockers, and that's why I first got into Horror - because I thought I liked Horror. Whereas in fact what I liked was Stephen King's writing. He's a great writer. He instilled my love for literature and reading. :)

I don't hold much hope for the Literature category catching up with the Science Fiction and Fantasy genres in the Poll, though lol. Probably be just me voting.

EDIT: actually, maybe you should have a Mainstream category as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones