• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YouTube app w/ 720p HD

MediocreBadGuy

Android Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2011
Texas
I haven't seen this mentioned here so I thought I'd share. I am a big YouTube fan and always hated how low quality the videos looked on mobile. I have been using this modified version of the latest YouTube app for about a week and WOW do videos look amazing on the Triumph. Here is the link --> [MOD] YouTube APK with 720p HD playback (WiFi + 3G) - xda-developers

Unless your phone's screen has 720 resolution, your youtube videos will be displyed at it's native resolution, which is 480 on most phones.
No.

720p videos will be downscaled to your phone's screen which will give an even crispier image.
Plus 720p videos have higher bitrate, which means higher image quality/detail.

Anyone that doesn't believe that this mod actually improves quality, please try it and then hide. ;)

I got a question, does it require more data to download on either 3G or Wifi for high definition videos? My Wifi is average and plays fine and sometimes not in download rate. I will try this on a later time but I just wanna know for someone else who would be asking this question later. Thanks :)

Most likely since it would have to download higher definition pictures. Meaning it may or may not work well on VMs 3g...

Upvote 0
Most likely since it would have to download higher definition pictures. Meaning it may or may not work well on VMs 3g...
I know 3G wont work, lol.

My Wifi is being lazy to download the streams of videos at high speeds and I do have high-speed net. On a good day, I'll get 15mbps but its a variable from 250kbps to 600kbps around that area. This is a shared connection from many devices from too many to name from, let's say 5-6 active devices running :eek:

I'll try it still and see if it works out for me, I hope so. Thanks :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. Google just recently updated the official Youtube app to play 720P, but it only shows 720P on devices with a certain DPI or screen res. I guess this version makes it work on all devices without having to edit the build.prop.

New youtube apk with 720p support released this week?
Edit your build.prop to have 182 screen DPI, reboot, make sure you have youtube version 2.4.4+. You may need to clear youtube's data, which you can do in settings - manage applications.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. Google just recently updated the official Youtube app to play 720P, but it only shows 720P on devices with a certain DPI or screen res. I guess this version makes it work on all devices without having to edit the build.prop.

New youtube apk with 720p support released this week?
My phone is modded DPI is 180 which means it is lower than what the App wants meaning I got it? Nice and I said it before, I already notice the quality :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones