• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YouTube update?

Curious Mew

Apr 20, 2012
The latest YouTube update came a couple days ago, for some reason my phone has not updated yet.

However I'm not sure I want to update, in the app description it says the app now "preloads" on Froyo and Gingerbread devices. I'm on Gingerbread, but I need to spare all the memory I can get. The 'Galaxy S' can only handle so much.

Can someone tell me what they mean by "preloading"? I do not want YouTube running 24/7.

What exactly do you mean by you need all the spare memory you can get? I have over 150 apps and yet to experience a memory issue on my Galaxy S. If you are talking about RAM, Android is designed to run with RAM almost always full. Take away a RAM eater and Android will look for another installed app to preload.

I updated but there really seems to be no real difference. It does open and load faster though because the preload they are talking about seems to be the RAM cache. As for running, its not. Preloaded apps do not eat battery. Also, Android only preloads the most used apps, not all apps. If you don't use youtube that much then there's no problem.

I use my phone without caring for RAM and it still runs smooth despite heavy customization (Go Launcher, replaced all icons on homescreen with custom ones, lots of stuff allowed to background sync, widgetlocker, third party dialer, contacts, sms and browser, etc). Don't worry about your memory.

Reactions: Curious Mew
Upvote 0
What exactly do you mean by you need all the spare memory you can get? I have over 150 apps and yet to experience a memory issue on my Galaxy S. If you are talking about RAM, Android is designed to run with RAM almost always full. Take away a RAM eater and Android will look for another installed app to preload.

I updated but there really seems to be no real difference. It does open and load faster though because the preload they are talking about seems to be the RAM cache. As for running, its not. Preloaded apps do not eat battery. Also, Android only preloads the most used apps, not all apps. If you don't use youtube that much then there's no problem.

I use my phone without caring for RAM and it still runs smooth despite heavy customization (Go Launcher, replaced all icons on homescreen with custom ones, lots of stuff allowed to background sync, widgetlocker, third party dialer, contacts, sms and browser, etc). Don't worry about your memory.

I was concerned because I read reviews by at least a few people who were saying the app consumed their last drop of memory, and I'm trying to decide why that is.. the app couldn't have gotten fatter.

My Galaxy S runs fine too, but I've had Go Launcher reset itself on me when I close it sometimes.

no matter, thanks for your comment :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones