• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help zram0

Hi,
I found a file in /dev/block of my android device named zram0. Does this contain the RAM contents of the phone? I acquired the zram0 using dd command.But I could not view it.I tried opening the dd image using autopsy. But the file couldn't be opened. Please suggest me a method to view the contents of the dd image of zram0.

zram (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram) is a compressed area of virtual memory--it's not the entire RAM contents, just the portion of RAM allocated to the zram / swap function.

It's not likely viewable as you're describing and would be compressed (encoded) at any rate.

If you want to see what is in there, you're going to have to find and dig into some kernel APIs (if any exist) although I'm betting they'll just report usage statistics and not the contents of the zram which would be changing all of the time during device usage.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones