11 things to do after unboxing samsung galaxy s3 and other mobilesTips

1. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

I let my battery on my eris die once, and it resulted in weeks of the phone not holding a charge, I will never repeat that ever. the way i had to fix it was thankfully I had a rooted phone was to erase the battery info and leave it on the charger, use it a few min here and there, put it back on charger. deep cycle, worst suggestion ever.
  2. rjtim

rjtim Well-Known Member

Is it ok that I turned the phone on while charging?
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Actually, many phones will turn on when you plug them in. It should be fine as long as it's a continuous charge. Try not to use it too much because if the drain exceeds the charge, it could throw off the stats.
  4. rjtim

rjtim Well-Known Member

Yep it was continuous, and didn't do much aside from checking messages. Also, I only did this not when the phone just got out of the box but after I already had it for a while. Is this fine too?
  5. rjtim

rjtim Well-Known Member

Sorry let me rephrase that. I meant most of the time.
  6. LunchBB

LunchBB Well-Known Member

I don't sweat about charging much, how often, deplete.. or anything about the battery. Replacement batteries are cheap. Unlike iPhones, we can take out the battery and replace one without sending the device back to Samsung. :) Suck on that Apple!
  7. gabquintero09

gabquintero09 Well-Known Member

Oh yeahh.. haha

Well, it took me a while to read through all the posts, but have always been very confused about the dos and don'ts about batteries...

Bottom line, I've always been told never to let a device fully discharge as it can in the long term, hurt the battery life..

I don't know, but so far it's worked for me..

I think the longest battery life I've ever seen on a smart phone has been that of the blackberry 8350i.. It would last me about 3 days without charging, with average daily use, emails, texts, calls, etc..
  8. lunatic59

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but letting it drain completely every now and then should be a problem. Be advised that when I say "completely" I mean until the phone shuts itself off. When it does this there is usually 5% charge left. If you let the device sit in this state for a few days and let the battery drain to 0%, you run the risk of causing damage to the battery up to having it no longer able to charge at all.
  9. rjtim

rjtim Well-Known Member

Thanks. I mean, I wasn't able to do those things you said when the phone (battery) was new. Only did it after having it for a while. Is that alright?
  10. lunatic59

Android saves battery statistics from the first time you turn it on, so if you had a few weeks of incremental charges and the phone reported a quick discharge, it will take a little longer for the stats to average out and give you a more accurate picture of your real battery life. It's better to get this data on a newer phone for better averaging, but you're okay doing it later, too.
  11. breezex

breezex Well-Known Member

Battery advice is like a religion and Russian roulette. One is "This is what I wish were true" and the second is "It never killed me so it's also good for you". My religion will not permit me to completely deplete a lithium-ion battery, and I keep it topped off whenever possible. I never played Russian roulette and never intend too.
  12. rjtim

rjtim Well-Known Member

I see. Well, I think I'm still safe. Only had a phone for less than 2 weeks, so it's relatively new imo :D
  13. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

Moreover although important but battery is not matter of life and death as it is replaceable and cheap
  14. scrambled

scrambled New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I'm experiencing very frustrating battery life since purchase. I know the battery is performing way below what should be expected as it doesn't even come close to living up to my old iPhone. I currently lose about 10% battery life per hour regardless of usage. If anything, it appears to drain faster when the phone is not in use! I am in a good service area so no problems with reception. I've tried all the advice I can find online - disabled all of the major apps with potential for battery drain, turned off sync, turned off push email, no bluetooth, wifi only when available etc etc. No success!

lunatic59, after reading your post, and others, I thought it might have something to do with the battery condition. Some of the advice on this forum, although there is a lot of conflicting advice, suggests first charge should be for up to 12hrs and you should not use it at the same time. When I received my phone I immediately started to charge it but I did use it at the same time. I therefore thought this may have contributed to damaging the battery? So, I have now tried deep cycling as recommended by lunatic59, but unfortunately this does not appear to have helped! luncatic59 - How many times am I supposed to charge, reboot, then charge again?

Extremely frustrating :mad:... From reading the forums online, I can see that there seems to be widespread battery issues with the international variant of the phone. In which case, might this be a fault with the firmware and am I best off waiting for Samsung to release a fix?

Does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions please? Getting rather desperate and would really appreciate your help.

I've resorted to ordering a new battery just in case that's the problem, but I suspect it's not.

Thanks
  15. lunatic59

You should only need to deep cycle the battery once.
  16. scrambled

scrambled New Member

Deep cycle as suggested by lunatic unfortunately did not work. Any other suggestions please?
  17. lunatic59

You could install an app like watchdog lite to monitor your apps above see what its consuming your battery. Otherwise I'd suspect a bad battery.
  18. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

Also when checking for actual battery performance, try to keep wifi, bluetooth, GPS, mobile data and syn off. All can be turned off from notification menu
  19. clitrenta

clitrenta Well-Known Member

That whole post seems somewhat outdated. I didn't do any of this except #1. Once you sign into Google, it will autmatically sync contacts and calendar. I then installed Amazon MP3 app and downloaded whatever songs I wanted from Amazon's Cloud. Same process with Audible content, Evernote, etc. I also use Documents To Go and it's matching desktop so that's an easy sync as well. I am yet to be convinced of the merits of an antivirus on a cell phone. Feel free to state your case.
  20. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Well-Known Member

1) Throw the instructions in the bin then, when you can't figure out how to do something, post a question starting with "HELP ME!" on the Android Forums. :mad:
  21. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

22. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

Well these are mainly for people buying a new mobile and it is not must as many people are having mobile for long time without changing anything other than adding phone numbers. Also reason for the tip is given as well .Take example of dropbox tip, you are getting 50GB free with S3 while normally upto 5 GB is free and for upgrade you have to pay monthly fee starting from $9.90
  23. GJade

GJade Well-Known Member

Sing Hallelujah!
    At least... that's what I did :p
  24. rjtim

rjtim Well-Known Member

What if you have unlimited data surfing?
  25. rjtim

rjtim Well-Known Member

Thanks. I wish I saw your post before I had my phone. Anyway, the battery life on my phone seems to have gotten better now. And I'm quite satisfied with it.