• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 Auto Starting Apps...

DocTauri

Nov 29, 2009
So, I loaded ATK onto 2.1 which tells me that more apps are running than the built in proc manager does. So I killed everything except clock. Put the phone to sleep, and came back an hour later to find that Clock, Voice Dialer, MP3 Store, Settings, Shopper, Google Voice, Mail, Messages, chompSMS, and Handcent are all running.

Now, I have sent/received a few texts, so that'd explain the messages, chomp and handcent (still screwing with figuring out which one I want, but only Chomp is set to notify).

This is the third time I've done this today, so can confirm it's no accident. I have never used the MP3 app, don't even have any music on the phone, so no idea why that or for that matter, Voice Dialer, Shopper, or Mail are even running. I've never launched any of them.

Doc

Many Android apps launch on their own to perform services or, well do nothing. Don't worry about it, it doesn't hurt anything. They're most likely using little memory and not using any CPU resources. Android is not Windows. There can be dozens of background apps active. As long as they're not actively using system resources, they won't hurt anything. And there is no performance difference between having 20 MB of free RAM and having 120 MB of free RAM. Again, it's not Windows. Windows seems to run better with more RAM, Android is not like that. As long as there is some free for Android to work with, it's happy. And if memory is getting low, Android will start killing services to free up the memory it needs. If you don't want an app in the background, uninstall it.

Reactions: theboo7
Upvote 0
truelove,
im not sure i agree with you. as is the case for this guy:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/24319-apps-starting-themselves-driving-me-crazy.html

i notice a VERY significant change in operating speed (ie decreased lag) when i use Advanced Taskiller to kill all the programs / apps that continually auto-launch on my HTC Hero (which i otherwise love, i should note).

i will try removing advanced taskiller (but i remember this being a problem before i discovered advanced taskiller). so if android 1.5 (which is what im on i think) still fails to run smooth, ill give something like Startup Auditor a shot (which was mentioned on another thread and supposedly can auto-shut-down selected programs that auto-start.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones