• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 leak Guinea Pigs

The leaks are just from a showoff or two who want the world to see what they have access to; that much was almost said directly by the last leaker, it was a ROM he had access to at work.

Leaks are not a strategy of HTC, they have testers for that who get the unfinished product from time to time, we even see their posts in here about what they have.

Microsoft does release betas, and so does nearly every Linux/BSD distribution team (check www.distrowatch.com); they are open about it and it is quite productive and an integral portion of the development process.

Upvote 0
IMO some people prefer to be beta testers and I would be one of them. I love the ability to test a product before it is released and in some ways consider it a privelege.

Same here; I did it for a year with Windows 7 pre-releases.

I do admit, however, that being a tester for my phone could only be done if I had a spare one of the same type; I need my phone for too much productivity to be able to put up with bugs, that is one of the reasons I would never try a leaked product either.

Upvote 0
Same here; I did it for a year with Windows 7 pre-releases.

I do admit, however, that being a tester for my phone could only be done if I had a spare one of the same type; I need my phone for too much productivity to be able to put up with bugs, that is one of the reasons I would never try a leaked product either.
Ditto. However, I do have another phone just in case. A BB Pearl, which btw, works great. Furthermore, I don't upgrade until Caddyman and OTD do it first. They report that it works, I'm in. It's funny that you would buy a phone that is first generation with obvious bugs if you need it so much for productivity. I did it only because I have a solid fallback.

Upvote 0
I spent some time with it in two stores, as well as other candidate devices for my needs: the Droid, the Tour, the Storm 2 and the newer Curve.

The Blackberries nearly won, but the Eris was purchased because I had just come off a Samsung Instinct and the similarities were enough for familiarity and the differences were impressive as far as the Android OS goes.

Zero bugs, contrary to what some Eris owners are reporting. None at all save the moronic text-count thing right in the text-field of the keyboard in portrait mode.

Upvote 0
I spent some time with it in two stores, as well as other candidate devices for my needs: the Droid, the Tour, the Storm 2 and the newer Curve.
I actually took home a Tour for about 25 days and loved it. So I had 5 days left on my 30 and sat in the store with the Eris for hours on end. (hated the Droid) Finally said, what the heck and went for it after the rep told me 2.X was coming out eventually. ;) But I really miss my email on the BB. If they could get multiple Exchange accounts to sync at once I wouldn't look back.

Upvote 0
Ditto. However, I do have another phone just in case. A BB Pearl, which btw, works great. Furthermore, I don't upgrade until Caddyman and OTD do it first. They report that it works, I'm in. It's funny that you would buy a phone that is first generation with obvious bugs if you need it so much for productivity. I did it only because I have a solid fallback.

seems I read Caddy and OTD have both "drunk the koolaid" already.

Upvote 0
Regardless of being test dummies or not. It's a "leak" either on purpose or accidental due to a tester release. This means you put yourself on the line for fun, not for anything else. If it benefits Verizon's roll out, just like a beta testing community, its a plus regardless and fun for those of us who like tweaking, hacking and breaking our phones. =-)

Verizon should just have a beta program people can sign up with, to be a part of the testing community before an official OTA and just have them sign standard NDA's and have a testing forum at verizon. I wouldn't be surprised if the programmers at Verizon monitor the various active Eris forums and other phones they have on their network with each leak roll out just to see what happens in the wild. Since their limited beta testers only do so much compared to what the wild does.

Upvote 0
Leaks are not a strategy of HTC, they have testers for that who get the unfinished product from time to time, we even see their posts in here about what they have.
Respecting your post count, but do you actually have proof of this or are you speculating ??

I do admit, however, that being a tester for my phone could only be done if I had a spare one of the same type; I need my phone for too much productivity to be able to put up with bugs,
I could not agree with you more.
I went the leak route with Blackberry for a couple years, I dont have the time to be fooling around with unstable stuff. I need my smart phone to be smart, not get dumber.

Upvote 0
I've been thinking about this and I think that we may be giving them way too much credit for being so proactive as to leak a file and actually fix the issues that are found on forums. But if they are, then it's a very smart move. Microsoft figured this out with Windows and various Office builds except that they don't hide it. They give betas to a few million and automatically collect data on bugs.

Microsoft is ALWAYS beta. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes they have. The drank the Koolaid of helping people out, cutting the edge, trying to make things better. Pass that cup over this way.

Just to be clear, I respect Caddy and OTD, and I also would look to whether or not they have dl'd the 2.1 leak or not into consideration on whether I will. But, ultimately, it is everyone's personal decision. I myself am content to wait a bit.

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, I respect Caddy and OTD, and I also would look to whether or not they have dl'd the 2.1 leak or not into consideration on whether I will. But, ultimately, it is everyone's personal decision. I myself am content to wait a bit.
No way I can argue with that. It's just that Koolaid usually refers to something cult like with dubious benefits at best.

Upvote 0
I just thought of a second reason why it's good for Verizon (and HTC and Google) that a bunch of us got the leaked 2.1 ahead of time. We'll be serving as free tech support once the OTA update arrives! Since we've had a chance to use 2.1 for several weeks now, we'll be able to help other users who have questions about the new features.

Can you imagine how confusing the update is going to be for users who don't even know that an update is coming?

Upvote 0
I just thought of a second reason why it's good for Verizon (and HTC and Google) that a bunch of us got the leaked 2.1 ahead of time. We'll be serving as free tech support once the OTA update arrives! Since we've had a chance to use 2.1 for several weeks now, we'll be able to help other users who have questions about the new features.

Can you imagine how confusing the update is going to be for users who don't even know that an update is coming?

I agree. I think it's amazing how much faster you get a response on this website, compared to the verizon or htc "support" forum. Both of those forums are a joke, I've never seen an actual verizon or htc rep answer a customer's question.

God bless the internet forums.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've been going back and forth with @VZWSupport on Twitter for about a month regarding a silly location bug that my wife and I are experiencing. (Whenever we're in Tustin, CA, our phones think we're in Xuzhou, China... even the clock is 16 hours ahead.) They keep telling me to try a soft reset. That's their go to response for everything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones