• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 to begin rollout this week - Motorola (Updated)

Awesome, I was holding off rooting to see what they actually add/fix in the update, that way I can wait for reviews before I update, if they are not what I wanted, then I will root and go the custom rom route.
Just an FYI: You can root your phone and keep everything stock. From outward appearance you wouldn't notice anything different from the original unless you decided to run a different ROM, or make some other changes.
The short of it is that if you root it you have the ability to change things in the future. Once you update to 2.1 without root access you loose that option, possibly forever...

Upvote 0
Just an FYI: You can root your phone and keep everything stock. From outward appearance you wouldn't notice anything different from the original unless you decided to run a different ROM, or make some other changes.
The short of it is that if you root it you have the ability to change things in the future. Once you update to 2.1 without root access you loose that option, possibly forever...

Couldn't you just reflash a update.zip of 2.0.1 to regain root access?

Upvote 0
Actually that might work, depends if the fix will prevent us from flashing the old original 2.0.1 update. But the actual file containing the key/signature check from the 2.1 update will most likely remain since 2.0.1 doesn't have it in it's update. So basically I would just root now and get SPRecovery that way you can flash the 2.1 update after the dev's remove anything that might remove root access.

Upvote 0
I'm sure there will be another way to root, but without the 2.0.1 ota update we got before we still wouldn't have root. If you were on alldroid.org way back then you should remember how many different things people tried to get root and all of them failed. All I'm saying is if root is a big deal to you then don't OTA but if you could care less about it then use the OTA.

Upvote 0
I'm sure there will be another way to root, but without the 2.0.1 ota update we got before we still wouldn't have root. If you were on alldroid.org way back then you should remember how many different things people tried to get root and all of them failed. All I'm saying is if root is a big deal to you then don't OTA but if you could care less about it then use the OTA.
I agree!

Someone will still need to work on rooting 2.1 since all new Droids coming out after its release won't have have it. The big problem will be how long until we do?

Like CR says it was quite difficult with 2.0.x, and the Google team isn't going to let that happen again if they can help it...

Upvote 0
Anyone who thinks it's going to be a trivial thing to re-root, check out http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40360-official-htc-eris-root-status-thread.html

I've been following the eirs root status a bit, just because I find it all fascinating, and it sounds like they're making great progress...but, remember the eirs was released at the same time as the droid, and they're still not there. Not to say that 2.1 won't get rooted, just that it may not be as quick as many people expect.

Upvote 0
My major concern is the VZW rep updating it for me while hes setting up the phone. Do they even do that kind of stuff or do they just activate it and you handle the google sign in and all that stuff?
To be honest, I have no idea, since I got mine shipped to me. I did have to activate it, and set up email, etc myself though.

Just pray for 2.0.1

Upvote 0
I'm sure you could force it....WHEN it's released ;) They said it would start rolling out this week, which means it's probably going to be done in waves again to make it easier to pull if issues start cropping up like they've done in the past. Besides a manual install (again if they provide the file) you'd just do the check for updates under phone info in settings when it's live.

Upvote 0
When i got my droid on the first day it was released I told the rep that I could activate it myself to save time but he said they were mandated to do the activation themselves. That could be because it was launch and they didn't want returns from people confused on activating and getting frustrated. Although I do not know there policy for it now and I still do not fully understand why they were forced to do it. Chances are though they will be suspicious as to why a customer would not want an update because other then rooting which is against their policy, there is no reason not to update so you might get the look if they know rofl!!:D

Upvote 0
When i got my droid on the first day it was released I told the rep that I could activate it myself to save time but he said they were mandated to do the activation themselves. That could be because it was launch and they didn't want returns from people confused on activating and getting frustrated. Although I do not know there policy for it now and I still do not fully understand why they were forced to do it. Chances are though they will be suspicious as to why a customer would not want an update because other then rooting which is against their policy, there is no reason not to update so you might get the look if they know rofl!!:D

I will most likely order the phone online on Monday when I am available for my upgrade. Id rather wait a day or two more (been waiting months already) and be almost guraranteed that the phone wont come loaded with 2.1. versus going to a store and having them update it against my will.

Upvote 0
2.1 on my droid via ota -1 I do not want to lose oc and wifi tether I worked (actually sholes did) to hard to get it.
2.1 on my droid via sholes or bb update +1 that is the update I am waiting for even if I have to wait a week or 2 later. I already have 90% of the features plus some. I have the launcher, the 5 screens, plus I have smoked glass, wifi tether, oc, multi touch browser without dolphin.

Upvote 0
2.1 on my droid via ota -1 I do not want to lose oc and wifi tether I worked (actually sholes did) to hard to get it.
2.1 on my droid via sholes or bb update +1 that is the update I am waiting for even if I have to wait a week or 2 later. I already have 90% of the features plus some. I have the launcher, the 5 screens, plus I have smoked glass, wifi tether, oc, multi touch browser without dolphin.
Did you get notified of the update already?????

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones