• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 update confirmed by Samsung Poland!

What is the point of not releasing update for i7500 supposedly in order to protect the upcoming new phones form competition, but releasing 2.0/2.1 for Spica? Galaxy is no match for the upcoming monsters on Snapdragon, and marketing people may play with this fact; but i5700 with more memory and an arguably faster processor is!

Upvote 0
What is the point of not releasing update for i7500 supposedly in order to protect the upcoming new phones form competition, but releasing 2.0/2.1 for Spica? Galaxy is no match for the upcoming monsters on Snapdragon, and marketing people may play with this fact; but i5700 with more memory and an arguably faster processor is!

The point is that these devices (i mean android phones) need to be updated and supported for a long time. This is valid for samsung and every other company that produces android phones!
You cant think to sell a phone and update it for just one year and then stop supporting it because you have to sell another!
If samsung (or htc, motorola, google, who you want) is going to use this policy will be a failure for Android.
Whats the point in having such a powerful very-modular opensource framework like Android if you have to change your device to get the latest version?

Galaxy is my first Android device and despite everything im very satisfied with it, but no long term support is something i cant live without.
If android device producers wont offer this i will not use their products anymore, and i dont think i would be the only one :)

Upvote 0
Surely Samsung will get a bad reputation with the carriers as well? Smartphones are almost always sold on a contract, so people are stuck with the same phone for at least 18 months. If Samsung aren't willing to support the phone for that long surely the networks themselves will stop using them also?

How much work does it take to update the version of android? Would the work towards the Spica make the Galaxy update easier? Maybe they might surprise us with an update if it's not too much extra work (wishful thinking there).

Upvote 0
i think hes speaking from a samsung perspective on how they might think, not speaking from his own views

I think it too! I just said my toughts on the "android-situation". Companies should understand how important is supporting their devices especially in these days!
For example i think google knows this and will take an "apple style" approach with his nexus one: one device, some minor revisions on that device and regular updates.
Maybe others are still anchored to an "old style" approach

Upvote 0
Damn you Samsung, I'm three seconds from selling my Galaxy ... Although I just love the size, design and ergonomics

So I guess this leaves us with Drakaz and Mustymod.
Good luck guys.Where do I contribute (financially... )?

i dont think we can now as the project is opensource and musty jumped on board but to keep things sweet theyve agreed not to take funding for it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones