2.1 update connection error

Last Updated:

1. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've been trying to get the official 2.1 update on my phone, but everytime I do, I keep getting the 170 error, which is an error connection from my USB port. I know that the USB ports are fine because other flash drives work fine, plus my phone shows as connected on my PC. I already tried rebooting my PC and phone the RUU software still wont recognize my phone and just tells that there's an error connection. Any help on this?

I already tried mounting my phone from the phone settings...

Advertisement
  2. snow

snow Member

Did you maybe get an incomplete ruu file? The first couple downloads I tried gave me errors (I don't remember specifically what it was) when trying to run but finally got a good file and mirrored it here

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

maybe see if that help.

3. Lozer_Kid

I think I got the full one because the file size is 118 MB, but I'll try this one and see if it works, thanks!

4. snow

snow Member

Yeah, mine said it was complete too but there was something amiss for sure. The mirrored copy was the third d/l for me and that finally worked. Let me know.

5. Lozer_Kid

I downloaded the mirrored copy and it's still telling me that there's no connection when there is... :(

6. snow

snow Member

hmmm... sorry, that that would do the trick for you since I was stuck on the install until I got that version of the file. Sorry, I don't have any other thoughts right now.

7. Lozer_Kid

I don't know what it is and I'm getting quite frustrated. I just tried a different windows computer and I still get the same problem! If there was no connection, then I'm sure my phone wouldn't even show up on either of my computers! Not even on my mac... I guess I wouldn't be able to transfer files from my phone to my computer and vice verse either... :(

8. rubah_dmb

rubah_dmb New Member

you gotta connect your phone using Sync

9. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member

Similar problem here.... my phone says it cannot sync :mad:

10. Lozer_Kid

Thanks, that actually helped solving my problem! Now, my phone it's finally updated :D

You need to instal the the HTC Sync software, otherwise it won't sync. The software should have come with the original 2GB Micro SD card, in the HTC Sync Folder. If you replaced that card with a new one, then you need to get the original SD card, or download it from here HTC Hero - Application Upgrade - HTC Sync 2.0.33, make sure you pick the US version. After you installed the software, make sure to reboot your computer, otherwise it still wont Sync. Once your computer has been rebooted, just go through the Set up wizard and ta dah!!! It should work after all that! =]

11. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member

I downloaded the Sync just a few hours ago. Still won't sync my phone. Which is weird... because I have never had a problem syncing before.

12. Lozer_Kid

Well, I'm not sure then. I installed the Sync software that came in the original SD card, I didn't download the one from the HTC website! Maybe, you should try installing the one that came in the SD card. I'm sure the software are not the same.

13. snow

snow Member

Hey Kid sorry, I assumed you were doing that part or I would have been able to put it out straight away last night.

14. Lozer_Kid

That's okay, at least we got it figured out and I really love the 2.1 update despite the bugs that it has!!! :D

15. Jin of the Gale

Jin of the Gale Member

Hey,

I have a similar problem like u guys, but mines kinda worse i think.
    When i connect my Hero to the PC, Htc Sync finds it and its all good.
    BUT just as i run the RUU it turns off ! Then theres suddenly NO connection between Sync and my Hero o_O ... I got the ADB driver and windows sais it works, and it should since it connects with Sync.

Can anyone help me plzz ?

16. TampaMike

TampaMike Active Member

Same problem here. I finally gave up.
    I'm taking the hero to Sprint and letting them do it.

17. cyearns

cyearns Active Member

I ran into the same issue when trying to reflash from 2.1 to 2.1. I finally got it to work after booting the phone into safe mode and then running the RUU. To boot into safe mode, power on the phone then hold down the Menu button until the phone boots up. You will see safe mode on the lower left side of the screen.

18. cyearns

cyearns Active Member

Er, I am trying to reflash again, but the safe mode trick isn't working for me.

RUU connects to the phone and so does sync, but once the phone reboots it never goes into the boot loader....

Any ideas why?

19. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

I had the same problem, use the 2.0.3.3 version of Htc Sync, thats what did it for me. Also, I had to change the connection type to Htc sync in the pull down notification window on the phone before it would recognize the phone, good luck.