• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3.340 is here! Post your experiences

I just got the phone and I'm not even sure where to update. Is there something I should be looking for?

if you go to settings>about phone>system updates it will check for the update
but word is right now that moto/verizon has stopped allowing people to get it for right now
if you dont feel like doing any of that, it will eventually send a thing to your phone asking you to upgrade it when moto/verizon pushes it out to everyone

Upvote 0
if you go to settings>about phone>system updates it will check for the update
but word is right now that moto/verizon has stopped allowing people to get it for right now
if you dont feel like doing any of that, it will eventually send a thing to your phone asking you to upgrade it when moto/verizon pushes it out to everyone

Ok did that, and right now it says:

"Your device is up to date! No update necessary at this time. "

I don't have madden so I assume I'm not technically "up to date" until they release it in my area?

Upvote 0
Now that I think about it -- when I received the Froyo update I was one of the last ones. I got mine on the way home from vacation, and when I checked online at AndroidForums, others had gotten it during that week. So I may not receive it for a couple of days yet depending on how they push it out.

Just curious -- but do I need to rename my .bak files back to .apk in /system/app in order to update successfully? I've seen this asked several times but I don't think I've seen the answer yet.

Yes, you do. I had to rename .bak files back to .apk in order to let update get through. Otherwise, It will just keep saying update failed..

Reactions: crboone
Upvote 0
Just bot back from my local VZW store. they claim it was pulled due to too many complaints with it being buggy...said they hope to have it fixed very soon....

so your guess is as good as mine as far as when they will release it again...
#1 rule: Don't trust anything a Verizon CSR says, most of the time they are just making it up as they go.

I don't buy the "it's too buggy" line, not for one second. Who was there to complain? Only enthusiasts know to "pull" updates, and how many were complaining since 2am-8am.

No, I think the previous explanation was more plausible. Verizon put the update up for a test group to try, then shut it down pending feedback from the test group.

Upvote 0
if your concern is that this bloatware is going to have adverse affects on your performance then hiding it is just a band aid.

i say root and get rid of it. or at least get titanium pro and freeze it.

I know it's not going to do a hill of beans to the performance of my phone. For me, it's more of a pronounced dissatisfaction with the phone industry's reluctance to provide application control to the user. Madden 2011 is not essential to the operation of my phone nor was it a condition of sale, therefor I believe that I should have the right to remove it through standard and non-exceptional means.

This isn't to say that Verizon should have to deal with every Tom, Dick, and Harry who goes in and starts hacking and slashing at the phone's core OS. Software essential to the operation of the phone has an understandable need to be locked down to some degree. That said, Verizon will never be able to explain to me how Blockbuster, City ID, NFL Network, et al. are essential to the daily operations of the device in a manner that the removal of said software would disrupt or be deleterious to the phone or the network.

First thing I do when I help friends unpack new pre-built PCs is remove the bloatware, crapware, and payware that they will never need. I should have the right to do that with my phone as well.

Upvote 0
Well I'm also still on 2.3.15. I've never deleted anything off of my phone, it's all frozen in TiBU. I guess I'll go in and unfreeze it to prepare for the update. I rooted with one of the earlier methods that required pushing it from my computer onto my phone, that won't be a problem will it? I've seen where people have said they lost root during the update, so obviously they didn't unroot before the update. But I just wanted to make sure it doesn't matter which method you used to root, you still don't need to unroot... right?

If you do need to unroot if you used some of the older methods, how do you unroot?

Upvote 0
Ok here's my experience... this is one bad ass phone yo!

First I downloaded the official leaked OTA from AndroidCentral onto my computer. But I didn't have my USB cable with me (visiting my sister), so I installed ADB Wireless so I could push it onto my phone over wifi. Well, once I got into it I didn't have any clue as to how to retrieve it off of my computer and put it on my phone. Sooooo... I just punched in the address into the address bar on the browser on my phone, and downloaded it straight onto my SD card from there!

Next, I rebooted into recovery, and tried to install it... it said the update zip did not exist. What??? Ok, went back and reread the instructions. It said to place the update zip on the root of my SD card... wasn't so sure what that meant at first. So I went into Root Explorer (first time I've ever used that app to be honest) and looked at my SD card looking for something that said 'root' on it. I found my download folder, opened it up and saw the update zip inside. Then it dawned on me, I needed to move it out of that folder and onto the card itself (ah ha, so that's what 'root' of the SD card meant!). So I very easily moved it out of the download folder, and onto the card itself.

Ok, repeat previous steps, rebooted into recovery... install zip from SD card... voila, SUCCESS!!!! How sweet is that, didn't even need a computer, just downloaded it straight from the phone itself onto it's own SD card, no middle man, no hassel. It did require a bit of thinking, but not so much that I broke a sweat or anything. This is cake, I'm loving this device, and really just today's technology as a whole, more and more each day!

Reactions: crboone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones