• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm liking 4.2. I got impatient and did the framework trick, worked first time. All my apps seem to work. First time using android keyboard' takes a little getting use to after using Swype for a year, but I do like it better. Actually has a "." on the number screen! Like being able to manually enter words in the dictionary.

ssLauncher seems to work the same, but one added plus, is when adding widgets the text is a much better contrast.

Xscope browser has no issues. Flash works fine. Does crash occasionally, but no more so than it did on 4.1.2. PS: Browser only crashes with flash enabled. No crashes since I disabled flash, but flash works fine when I need it.

Not sure what everyone's lock screen problem is. Mine looks almost identical except for the bold hour, looks OK to me, although a different font might be better. Date is more readable. My koi live wallpaper looks good on the lock screen. If you don't like the clock, just put your calendar agenda there and delete the clock. My lock screen is on for about 15 seconds a day, so I don't really care what it looks like.

I don't use the right side pull down, use Widgetsoid so I get actual switches on my screen. I also like the left notifications. I have top bar hidden with my launcher, and now one swipe pulls down just the top bar, a second swipe pulls down the notifications. Works and looks much better to me.

Another PLUS... Amazon appstore looks much better! Everything is larger and readable.

I just noticed the time is in the notification bar, so I'm deleting the clock and just using calendar agenda. My lockscreen:

lockscreen%20new.png

Upvote 0
I don't use the right side pull down, use Widgetsoid so I get actual switches on my screen. I also like the left notifications. I have top bar hidden with my launcher, and now one swipe pulls down just the top bar, a second swipe pulls down the notifications. Works and looks much better to me.

I dont have my N7 here right now, but what is this about?

Upvote 0
They have a new pulldown 'quick settings' shade that includes a bunch of worthless stuff. Just shortcuts to things instead of actual on/off toggles. About the only thing useful is the ability to switch user accounts if you have more than one. Much more useful is the 'Notification Toggle' app from Play that sits in the Notification shade and offers a huge selection of on/off toggles and app shortcuts.

I got the 4.2 update downloaded from the OP and put it in my 'Download' folder. I rebooted into cwm recovery from Rom Manager and ran the update. I then did a cache and dalvik wipe before booting back up. I'm running great.

Reactions: EVU
Upvote 0
Lots of lock screen widgets, see here.

I don't like the lock screen widgets or clock on my Nexus 4 so I'm holding off updating the N7 at the moment. The OTA has downloaded and I keep selecting "update later".

It's a shame because everything else is great on the N4 - I just wish there were some options for the lock screen like 1 page only...

Upvote 0
I cannot update any Google apps since 4.2. Keeps telling me (error retrievine info from server). Any ideas? I cant update any apps for the 4.2 change.

One way to fix this is to remove your google account and relog in. Its a bit of a pain when I did it though because when I readded my account it installed all the apps that I have installed on my galaxy nexus that I never installed on my N7 (mainly because I didn't want them on my N7). And consequently that triggered a crap load of updates.

So just be aware of that. You won't lose any data, settings or apps though so you need not worry about that.

I'm not sure if there is a easier log off/ log on option without deleting the account.

Upvote 0
Just got the update yesterday. Some things I like, others I don't. I really don't like that "new user" box on the lock screen. I will be the only person using my N7, so I wish you could toggle it off.

The other thing I don't like is the new clock. I used the alarm clock a lot, and this new one is terrible. Being that I don't use a passcode pattern on my N7, whenever I would wake the tablet from sleep when it was on the clock app, it would immediately bring up the clock. I didn't have to see the lock screen. Made turning off the alarm in the morning simple. Not anymore. The lock screen comes up. I also don't like that the clock doesn't display over top of my live wallpaper. Instead, its some dull grey background.

Upvote 0
The things I don't like are:
1) my battery seems to drain at a faster rate than before. On 4.1 I would get ZERO battery drain on standby. I could have it on for an entire day (with minimal or no usage) and come back at the end of the day and still have 100%. Now on 4.2 it trickle drains even if I don't use it. It also seems to drain at a faster rate when I am using it. Endurance is decreased.
2) I seem to get random reboots occasionally, when I never had that happen in the 3 months that I've been using the Nexus 7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones