• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5.0.2 L running fine on my Nexus 7

systemofadown

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2012
Guys if you're willing to use the Nexus root toolkit you can flash the factory image for the nexus 7 2012 WiFi right now. If you're not rooted you'll have to unlock your device first. Unlocking your device will whipe everything so make backups. I was running 4.4.4 once I installed my new motherboard so I just opened the toolkit & listed my device as running 5.0.2 & let the toolkit download the factory image for flash stock & unroot. Once that was done I had 5.0.2 up & running.
I then factory reset my device to get the storage to show correctly. Then I set up my settings & apps the way I like them. I went into developer options again, clicked USB debugging in the nexus 7 developer settings and rooted + flash custom recovery. Its been running great & I have no complaints :)

I've put up with 5.0 for over 3 weeks and was just about to give up using it to browse Th d Web. Chrome, Firefox and Dolphin would freeze, cause periodic reboots or get so slow or totally unresponsive that I had to force a power off. Opera worked just f8ne with no issues. Odd. Did not try a factory reset. Changed a few setting in Dev mode as posted by others (helped somewhat). Updated many apps and deleted and reinstalled most others. Sometimes this fixed app issues. Sometimes no so much. Had launcher issues, system errors, on and on and on.

Just received 5.0.2 OTA about an hour ago and have tried every browser and a few apps. So far... It seems to have returned my tablet to normal. Not sure about battery yet, but the tablet is a lot faster. Almost seems new again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's only been an hour.

UPDATE : it's now been two hours. I used dolphin browser for 30 min straight then it froze. Had to force power off. Used Firefox Beta for about 15 min solid. It too froze but at least reported it was unresponsive and let me close. Will now give Chrome a try.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't use my N7 as much for long periods of browsing, though I do use chrome on my N9 a lot. Even on that platform it sometimes will freeze. It usually comes back to life after a minute with no popups like "chrome has stopped".
I think we will see another bugfix ota update for remaining issues sooner or later. At least on my N7 the battery life is pretty darn killer now - N9 not so much...

Upvote 0
Just received 5.0.2 OTA about an hour ago and have tried every browser and a few apps. So far... It seems to have returned my tablet to normal. Not sure about battery yet, but the tablet is a lot faster. Almost seems new again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's only been an hour.

UPDATE : it's now been two hours. I used dolphin browser for 30 min straight then it froze. Had to force power off. Used Firefox Beta for about 15 min solid. It too froze but at least reported it was unresponsive and let me close. Will now give Chrome a try.
I also received the 5.0.2 update today. After my terrible experience with crashes, lag, etc. from the 5.0 update (even after a factory data reset), I didn't even attempt to use 5.0.2 until after wiping the cache partition. I don't know if that was it or if I'm just lucky this time, but all performance issues are a thing of the past now. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest booting to Recovery and wiping the cache partition.

The only issue I have (and it existed with 5.0 as well) is that everything seems HUGE… almost as though the update has the wrong DPI or screen size defined. I had to reduce icon size system-wide in Apex launcher, Play Store app icons are over an inch in diameter, and several system menus line wrap at weird places (see attached screenshot). I'd still like Google to fix this, but I can live with it for now. At least my tablet is no longer just a paper weight.
Screenshot_2015-01-07-19-16-32.png

Upvote 0
Just finished installing 5.02 in India. Download was 311.2 Mb. Everything seems fine as of now, will check in the evening

UPDATE: Checked out my N7 now & its smooth, no lags or any other complaints faced by others (so far) :D. Still have to check the battery life, if there is any improvement or otherwise. Now I am eagerly waiting fr this update o my Moto G 2nd edition

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones