• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5 things a newb droid owner must do

What a great forum! My droid did not have any protective film on the back. Perhaps, due to the confusion, Moto no longer applies it! Ha!

Thanks to all the helpful tips! So far, three aps downloaded - Pandora, Notes Everthing and Weather Bug. As a former crackberry user, I am liking the new driod better each time I find a new app.

Question: Can I copy text from a gmail? I'd like to move notes from the BB to my Droid without having to retype it all!

Thanks to all who monitor and post helpful hints - you are the best!

Upvote 0
What a great forum! My droid did not have any protective film on the back. Perhaps, due to the confusion, Moto no longer applies it! Ha!

Thanks to all the helpful tips! So far, three aps downloaded - Pandora, Notes Everthing and Weather Bug. As a former crackberry user, I am liking the new driod better each time I find a new app.

Question: Can I copy text from a gmail? I'd like to move notes from the BB to my Droid without having to retype it all!

Thanks to all who monitor and post helpful hints - you are the best!
Yes just long tap on the screen of the mail and then select copy all and then go to the app you want to paste to and do the long tap and select paste

Upvote 0
Hate to be a pain, but I hit forward and still can not long tap or long press to copy. Is there something turned off within my settings?

Again, thanks for your patience!

Bob

I don't know if this makes a difference but I don't use the stock gmail program. I use K9 mail. I can't copy any text unless I hit forward.

You may get better help from rlittle. I honestly just tried it because of your question. I've never actually used this function.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this makes a difference but I don't use the stock gmail program. I use K9 mail. I can't copy any text unless I hit forward.

You may get better help from rlittle. I honestly just tried it because of your question. I've never actually used this function.

Actually, I used the stock mail client it works great and I saw no need to change it, or use anything else.

Upvote 0
ive been reading a lot of peoples posts and comments about the stock email and SMS apps.

i can see some of the problems people are having with the stock email app but what are some issues that people have with the sms app that makes them want to download a better app on the marketplace?

from what ive been reading theres problems with attachments and such from the stock email app so K9 seems definitely a good way to go.

so whats wrong or missing from the stock sms app that you guys choose to download a different one?

Upvote 0
This is what I do. I touch and hold the text area and the menu pops up. Then I select copy all, then I open the program I want to paste the text to and press and hold, then I select paste. thats it it may be a restriction in your app. what apps are you using?

Using stock gmail. I added weatherbug and notes. I do get a menu whedn I long tap in this forum so it does work. Any other ideas? Also, pics not show in emails - just a ? Mark aappears.

Thanks help

Upvote 0
Try everything even if it isn't something you are using right now. Try the music, camera, video camera, wifi, etc. (although I will admit that I haven't tried bluetooth). Make sure the phone works well so that if there is a problem, you can return or exchange it within the 30 days. There have been a few reports of "lemons" that freeze or randomly reboot. Make sure yours isn't one of those while you are in the guarantee period.

I think the guarantee is for a year. The no-questions-asked return is for 30 days. If you have the Asurion insurance, that covers the phone no matter what happens with it for as long as you pay the $6 premium.

Upvote 0
Get a good Task Manager app to kill the apps that are running in the background. There are some free ones as well as paid versions. Personally I suggest Advanced Task Manager. I think its $.99 and its well worth it. You can set it to auto-end apps and it also has a built-in uninstaller.

Upvote 0
Get a good Task Manager app to kill the apps that are running in the background. There are some free ones as well as paid versions. Personally I suggest Advanced Task Manager. I think its $.99 and its well worth it. You can set it to auto-end apps and it also has a built-in uninstaller.

Advanced Task Killer is free, what you need is the Startup manager for the Droid that is I believe $0.99. and is well worth it.

Upvote 0
Has anyone received the Droid software update? I did yesterday and now I can not use the Gallery option, says I have to install it.

I think you can still use it. You may have to turn the phone off and back on again. I know that others have had that problem and then the gallery mysteriously was fine again. Some that had it on their desktop had to delete it and re-add it in order for it to work.

Upvote 0
you're not your ..... jk

the power control widget is great. you save huge amounts of battery life by dimming the screen all the way and turning off gps/wifi/sync when not needed.

apps - make one of your first downloads a security app like lookout or antivirus

dolphin browser - multitouch zoom browser
taskiller - good to free up memory
ringdroid - for custom ringtones
picsay - multitouch picture editing and viewing
photo explorer - browse lots of high quality sites for photos
a world of photo - fun camera based game
abduction - fun accelerometer game
tricorder - functional star trek tricorder. it does a lot of really cool stuff
bonjour madame - if you like classy nude pictures of beautiful women

you tube - make sure you choose the "watch in high quality" option. otherwise you will be sorely disappointed.

learn how to easily move stuff around. customization is key with this device. you can do a lot to make you phone easy to navigate as well as impress the poor iphone prisoners.

THANKS for that! i have had dolphin for about 2 wks, but never knew it was multitouch! i thought Droid did not support multitouch, so i never tried the "pinch zoom" like on iPod.. good things come from reading forums :)

Upvote 0
Had my phone for a month with heavy daily usage, and it yas yet to display bubbling or peeling problems. I realize it will probably not affect performance, however I'm leaving it on as long as it sticks. Once it becomes a prob. then I'll remove it.

Also BUMP, for:

Scroll up to Post #31 my post earlier, that I just spent another 30 minutes Hyperlinking to all the Apps that I listed so all you have to do is click the App name, then scan the QR2 Barcode with your Barcode Scanner app and it'll take you to the download screen. Essentially saving you hours of searching and fooling around in Market, (like I did).

Just wanted to say that was very cool of you to go through all that trouble. It's made my life very easy with respect to setting up my Droid with some good apps. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones