• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

**6 Month update with the Iphone 5**

Still loving it Trophy? I remember your woes on the Gnex and yeah you weren't alone that's for sure. The signal issue killed many a battery and it wasn't an adequate battery to begin with. I somewhat got around it by rooting (and living in a strong 4G area) but the battery issues sucked up until the end. And I know rooting didn't cut it for people such as yourself.

Just upgraded to an LG G2 and wow the difference. Thin, big screen, low bezel and everything works all the time with blazing speed. AND battery life is now days vs hours. Talk about a relief.

Anyway, just curious if you ever missed Android or if not that, maybe larger screens, etc. If the iphone would ever make a 5+ inch screen (viewable area), it seems to me they might pick up a lot more fans...not that it doesn't have a great following already.

Upvote 0
i still have my iPhone 4 (unactivated, wifi only now) but it didn't take me long before i got bored. was it reliable? sure. was it customizable? hell no. i couldn't change the voice of Jeannie (the only way to get Siri-like function on a 4) to a cool UK or Aussie accent. it took many more steps to get out of one app, check weather, then get into another app. i missed my widgets even when i thought i'd never miss them. i could only add so many apps into a folder then i needed folders with the same name (Games then turned into Games 2, Games 3, and so on). eventually i got to my usual 100 or so apps, and i was out of home screens, couldn't add more, couldn't even see my wallpaper anymore.

the one thing that truly did it was when iTunes raised their song prices from $.99 to $1.29. now don't get me wrong, 99 cents for one MP3 is still higher than a kite, but still. jumping a song from the 1970s to $1.29 like it were a new song just out, is plain stupid. could i add another service that supported local storage? nope. i could get Amazon Cloud Player and use their MP3 store on my laptop to add music to it, but that seemed overkill. i hate using a laptop. secondly, what good is a 'cloud' player if i am away from coverage?

battery life is still above and beyond Android. it can sit idle for days and still have plenty left. Android needs charging every night if i leave it alone.

But i don't like Apple's planned obsolescence. non-removable batteries are a thorn in my side. there is also a cut-off date when your iPhone is too old to get OS updates, and shortly after that, the app store no longer works on your phone. with Android, be it Eclair, Gingerbread or Jelly Bean, even if Google suddenly says 'hey Android is dead and Play Store will shut down in 2020' there will always be third party dev support, a myriad of other app stores, and so on. Android is more future proof.

Apple supports all the Gapps, including Google Now and Chrome, alas, GNow is useless as it needs to be launched as an app like everything else thus defeating the purpose of cards. Chrome worked well enough, And Google Maps was excellent. but in the end, my iPhone was more Android than iPhone as Google's services remain superior to Apple's offerings. it felt like using Windows but running OpenOffice, KDE, and SeaMonkey on it.

Upvote 0
Never had the real battery or signal issues as other GNex'ers did. For me, it worked flawlessly. I remember Trophy's issues, and commenting that I didn't see them to the extent he did. But I'm generally in a strong signal area, and perhaps I didn't use my phone enough to drain the battery like he did.

But the G2 I just upgraded to puts everything else I've seen to shame.

Upvote 0
i think that any phone large enough to pass for a tablet is not only harder to pocket, but is a tad overkill. the brick size is just awkward to use as a phone. had the same gripe about the Nokia N-gage when it was all the rage. it's just like using an iPad for a camera. it just looks goofy. not sure i want to relive the DynaTAC brick days again.

now, a phone that is embedded into your hand or such, push it against glass, suddenly tons of options display IN the glass, that's the future. none of this 'mine is bigger than yours' garbage. tech appears to be devolving backwards again. first it got smaller and smaller, now it's getting larger and larger again, reminding me of a modern take on the tech of the 1980s. the only difference is that the Note isn't called a Newton or Palm Pilot.

Upvote 0
Anyway, just curious if you ever missed Android or if not that, maybe larger screens, etc. If the iphone would ever make a 5+ inch screen (viewable area), it seems to me they might pick up a lot more fans...not that it doesn't have a great following already.

Of course I miss Android at times. It did take a while to get used to the smaller screen but i'm fine with it now. The Iphone still fits my current lifestyle better than an Android. I just don't have time anymore to really be tinkering with my phone every night in order to get it to work to my standard.

I could only add so many apps into a folder then i needed folders with the same name (Games then turned into Games 2, Games 3, and so on). eventually i got to my usual 100 or so apps, and i was out of home screens, couldn't add more, couldn't even see my wallpaper anymore. Fixed in IOS7

But i don't like Apple's planned obsolescence. non-removable batteries Lots of Android phones are now going that way are a thorn in my side. there is also a cut-off date when your iPhone is too old to get OS updates, and shortly after that, the app store no longer works on your phone. with Android, be it Eclair, Gingerbread or Jelly Bean, even if Google suddenly says 'hey Android is dead and Play Store will shut down in 2020' there will always be third party dev support, a myriad of other app stores, and so on. Android is more future proof. This only applies if you have a device that Devs support and if it's open. Example if you have A Verizon phone you're not going to have much luck with that. IOS usually goes back 2 or 3 generation phones that will get the newest version. Most Iphone users by then will be upgrading anyways.

Apple supports all the Gapps, including Google Now and Chrome, alas, GNow is useless as it needs to be launched as an app like everything else thus defeating the purpose of cards. Chrome worked well enough, And Google Maps was excellent. but in the end, my iPhone was more Android than iPhone as Google's services remain superior to Apple's offerings. it felt like using Windows but running OpenOffice, KDE, and SeaMonkey on it. I definitely love how Google Maps works on the Iphone

To the OP, i beg you, NEVER update to iOS 7 unless you like Fisher-Price. everything is twice their size and the colors are puke!
I updated to IOS7 a week before it was officially released. I updated using the Gold Master (GM) I like IOS7 more than IOS6. It was a much needed change.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones