• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A few questions regarding S-Off etc

mmm....so does that mean the only way around this ota is to flash a custom rom?
cheers

it depends on the extent that you are rooted. if you wanted root access for a couple root requiring apps,and havent changed anything eles,it is possible to leave the stock recovery in place and just accept the OTAs naturally. yes they will break your root,requiring you to reflash superuser after,but thats not a big deal as long as the fastboot boot command is working. after the OTA,simply boot a custom recovery into memory,then flsah the newewst supersu package.

i tend to just run stock,and this is what i do. especially for the lack of RUUs at this time.(unlike em,im a big fan of the RUU ;))

if you have deleted bloatware,made other /system mods,or are running a custom rom and keep a custom recovery in place,then the best way to update is to flash a rom in recovery,flash the firmware package from bootloader. if youre just flashing an update to your current rom,then you may be able to "dirty flash" the rom(wipe only cache/dalvik with no data wipe) and not have to re-set everything up. just be prepaired to go back and wipe data if you have any issues.

edit:
almost forgot... if you wish to just remain on a certain stock firmware, all you need to do is freeze the mentioned "updater" app with titanium backup or equivalent. ive done this on my dads m7(i periodically update his phone manually) and my beloved one x(since i dont want it to update to sense 5 :eek:)

Upvote 0
Settings, System updates - have you turned off auto updating?

leaving the auto download setting unchecked will stop the OTA from automatically downloading to the device,but wont stop the nagging. freezing updater will work. if you try and manually check,youll get a "com.android.settings has stopped unexpectedly" error message.

as i mentioned,my one x and my dads m7 have been this way for a long time(my dad is still on release t mobile firmware :eek:)

Upvote 0
Looks like I'm gonna need to gain S-Off to upgrade my ROM or get back to stock and wait for an OTA. So rather than go back to stock completely and wait, I'm gonna take the plunge.

I think I may have a nandroid of a stockish ROM (definitely doesn't have a stock recovery), I say stockish as I left a few options unticked when doing the back up as I didn't have enough room on my SD card. If I remember correctly I left the data option unticked. If that works then I'm gonna S-Off.

Now if that fails miserably could I just flash this stock ROM from mike1986 (from here), would this work or would I need to be completely stock without a custom recovery etc?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones