• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A simple question

As the DHD is one of the strongest android phones, I was wondering what was the chance of dual-booting it with iOS. Yes I know that some would say that if you want iOS buy yourself the iphone, so please I want a honest answer. The reason why I'm asking is that their are so many more good quality games available on the iOS platform. If you compare the iphone or more correctly the itouch with the DHD specs-wise the DHD wins hands down. So if you can run iOS on the DHD, get a 16gb memory card, partition it to two 8gb parts and run the itouch iOS won't it work? Rather then doing the iphone won't the itouch be easier? I know some coding must be done to get it to work, but is it possible.

As an experienced software engineer, I'd say the answer is a simple and emphatic no. The problems in achieving this would be enormous given that the hardware is so different and the iPhone uses a totally different processor - Apple's own A4. I've no doubt that vast chunks of the code (drivers etc. at least) are written in a low-level language to optimize real-time performance and so would have to be totally re-written, rather than re-compiled. To back this up, I've never heard of iOS being ported to any non-Apple device, which is unsurprising considering how closely Apple control their products.

Most of the time when one device is made to look and feel like another in the way you are wanting to do, this is done by writing a software emulator which, in effect, causes the device (in this case your Desire HD) to mimic how the target (the iPhone) behaves. Being done in software alone, this is quite some task and explains why, so often, emulators run very slowly. On a mobile phone this approach would result in a huge program that would run very slowly, use loads of memory and drain the battery like crazy.

Reactions: Btrivedi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones