• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root About to throw EVO out the window...please help

That's PART of the PART 1 listed above in the toast method. You are part of the way there but you need to follow the rest of the steps. Which requires your favorite program ... adb. :) The misleading part of the method you tried is that it states after you load the PC32IMG file you have root. You really don't have a USEFUL root until you complete the rest.

Hmm I see. i can't get that adb crap to work to save my life. I'll just delete it and dl the sdk again and hopefully it works this time.

Upvote 0
Hmm I see. i can't get that adb crap to work to save my life. I'll just delete it and dl the sdk again and hopefully it works this time.
First install HTCSYNC that came on your SD card, then install the SDK. If you don't have HTCSYNC you can get the latest version off HTC's website. If you're running WIN7 you need to do that first. At least that's how I got it to work. You realize adb runs from a windows command prompt. Once you get to cmd you need to change directories to get into the /tools subfolder where adb is located to run it.

Good luck, I'm off to zzzzzzz's.

Upvote 0
First install HTCSYNC that came on your SD card, then install the SDK. If you don't have HTCSYNC you can get the latest version off HTC's website. If you're running WIN7 you need to do that first. At least that's how I got it to work. You realize adb runs from a windows command prompt. Once you get to cmd you need to change directories to get into the /tools subfolder where adb is located to run it.

Good luck, I'm off to zzzzzzz's.

Oh. I did NOT know adb worked from the windows command prompt. I thought it was an exe somewhere in the sdk i DL. I'm using win7 x64 so i'll look into the latest htcsync.

I'm tired too i'll leave it for now and pick it up tomorrow. maybe some more info will be here by then. I'll probably be in a better mood so I can sit down and experiment with it.

Upvote 0
Dude, you need to download the "evo-recovery.zip" file from Part 1 of Toasts guide, extract it to C:\EVO-RECOVERY and then open up the windows command prompt in that folder NOT THE SDK folder. All of the adb commands are run through the "evo-recovery" folder. Also, if you are using Windows you need to type "adb-windows.exe shell" in the command prompt. You will also find the ".bat" file you need to run when the phone is in "Recovery Mode"...
...and not to be a dick or anything but you seriously need to READ the instructions a few more times... I've never owned an Android Phone and it took me a few times of reading to finally get it to work.

Upvote 0
It's one thing to ask for help, it's another to rant and rave. This is a really great opportunity for you to learn a little bit of linux and a little bit about how the internals of your phone work. Next time just calm down, embrace that you don't have any knowledge of linux, but recognize your chance to learn something new.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that the unrevoked way was the one where you go to a website and it instantly "roots" it. What I did was was downloaded the PC36IMG and placed it on the root of the card. I held the up volume button while powering on. It allowed me me to use the up/down volume buttons to got through the selections and the power button to select one.

I waited while it did its thing and it rebooted after. Is that the unrevoked method or toast method?

Then you're not fully rooted - you still need to flash a ROM file in order to have superuser access and what not (i.e. one of the main reasons TO root).

Upvote 0
It is NOT the exact same method unless all i have to do is put a file on the card and turn the phone on. Unless you got a step by step method that exp
There is no step by step hand-holding method. There are numerous tutorials but anything can happen along the way on sometimes things can vary from how they explain them. This is not for the faint of heart. It's hacking an O/S. This is about as close as you will get to what you want: How to Root Your HTC Evo 4G! | HTC Evo 4G Hacks!

Google "how to root an evo" and you'll find tons of stuff, but unfortunately there is nothing that will be like you want it .... a foolproof, simple, hand-holding tutorial. If you don't have the patience or enough interest to dig in to it you probably are in the wrong place. You do have a 30 day refund policy from Sprint if you hate the phone that much because you can't remove the junk.

There actually is a step-by-step hand-holding guide that shows you exactly how to flash a custom ROM. It's that big sticky at the top that says "IDIOT-PROOF." I made it just for peopled just like this guy who seem to lack any kind of basic reading comprehension abilities and need someone to do everything for them because they're too dense to take the 20 minutes to use Google and learn anything themselves.
-------------
Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

Upvote 0
We were all new at one time, just because the guy doesn't want to or have the time to learn how ADB works doesn't mean he "lacks any kind of basic reading comprehension abilities".

That is really all you need to learn it, though. You download two programs, open a Command Prompt, and copy and paste from the other topics. All he does is come here and bitch about how hard it is to do an extremely easy task, and he seems to refuse to do any searching on his own and simply demands others hold his hand.

Upvote 0
It is NOT the exact same method unless all i have to do is put a file on the card and turn the phone on. Unless you got a step by step method that explains everything including stuff that experts assume you should know then you can see yourself to the door buddy cause you're not helping.

HA! Irony! Spend a little time on the forum buddy, you will see that all the information you need is at your fingertips. I suggest if you don't feel like putting in the leg work to customize your phone the way you want and aren't happy with the way it came, get a different phone.

I spent several days reading up on rooting my phone, what different methods where available, what the benefits are and aren't. I eventually chose to root it thanks to TheBiles Idiot-proof guide, I installed Fresh Evo 0.2 and I have what is basically a stock rom with no bloatware!

Upvote 0
do u know how to get to recovery-windows.bat command?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXTC0BcM0nU&playnext_from=TL&videos=E-DFSAwlXUU

there is a video on youtube it shows you the whole proccess of rooting HTC EVO. At 20:46 you seen the person on the video sending the recovery-winsdow.bat via cmd. the proccess is somewhat difficult. this same user has a video how to unroot you Evo. Im telling you this because the is an easier way to root the evo. that other way is.

download from market place
Dolphin browser HD
fromthe Dolphin browser go to google and search for unrevoked click on the first one it will then take you t a page. middle of the page click and download software. once download press start this will root you phone. if you want free wifi tehter go the maket place and install the one you want. hope this helps.

BTW. I have perform both rooting technics and the second one(unrevoked) can be done in aboout 3 to 5 mins, it even work on the HTC hero I know this cuz i did to my wife's hero.

Upvote 0
there is a video on youtube it shows you the whole proccess of rooting HTC EVO. At 20:46 you seen the person on the video sending the recovery-winsdow.bat via cmd. the proccess is somewhat difficult. this same user has a video how to unroot you Evo. Im telling you this because the is an easier way to root the evo. that other way is.

download from market place
Dolphin browser HD
fromthe Dolphin browser go to google and search for unrevoked click on the first one it will then take you t a page. middle of the page click and download software. once download press start this will root you phone. if you want free wifi tehter go the maket place and install the one you want. hope this helps.

BTW. I have perform both rooting technics and the second one(unrevoked) can be done in aboout 3 to 5 mins, it even work on the HTC hero I know this cuz i did to my wife's hero.

He wants to root his phone so he can remove the bloatware, using Unrevoked method you can't accomplish that. He needs a custom rom with all the bloatware removed, so he needs full root.

Upvote 0
I might just take it back. It's nice and all but if its this complicated i'll wait for the w7 phones as windows based hacks are usually alot easier because most things have GUIs

That is so not a reason to use a windows phone lol.. The windows people just use hacked roms that you install without bloat. This is already being done on droids. If you know nothing about all of this Im sure getting rid of bloat will not even have a benefit for you. just use an app killer and the phone will always run fast.

By reading your posts you seem unwilling to learn how change things on your phone to achieve a desired result without following a step by step how to. With common sense a how to that is already up here works perfectly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones