• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Access usb drive on Android?

Will keep you posted. Have just ordered a type A USB female to female gender changer. Have a Dell Streak, a bearing in mind recent reports that it happily accepts bluetooth HID devices (keyboards & mice) I'm hopeful that it could also support USB flash drives. Guess it depends what the kernel supports... which from my past experience of creating custom linux kernels, it can include whatever the kernel creator thinks could be useful.

Upvote 0
Sadly no joy. I fitted the gender changer to the USB end of the cable for the Dell Streak but nothing was recognised.

I tried a Sony 8GB Microvault USB flash Drive, a couple of different types of 4GB Sandisk usb flash drives and even a USB SD-card reader with a 4GB SDHC card in it. The card reader has a LED which did not power up.

I suspect that all of these devices require 5V DC power which the handset is not outputting to power external devices - probably by design. I would not be surprised if however an adaptor were to be made up which would provide the 5V DC 500mA max. regulated power to the appropriate pins that these external drives might work. All of them will be expecting power.

I've no plans to try it. I don't wish to blow up my Dell Streak. I imagine this is where the Dock comes in handy :)

Maybe in a couple of months time if I start saving now I might be able to raise the price of the dock. Need a pay rise if I'm going to pay Dell's Accessories prices :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones