• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I stopped by BestBuy yesterday to play with the 16GB demo model. I turned off wi-fi, and the "GPS" Settings did not work. The menu for GPS states that it is street level accurate, but it looks like it is based on wifi? Does it truly have a GPS receiver in it? I have a feeling it's pseudo GPS using wifi for location.

Upvote 0
I stopped by BestBuy yesterday to play with the 16GB demo model. I turned off wi-fi, and the "GPS" Settings did not work. The menu for GPS states that it is street level accurate, but it looks like it is based on wifi? Does it truly have a GPS receiver in it? I have a feeling it's pseudo GPS using wifi for location.

YES!It has a GPS RCEIVER! Please understand that you must first install a mapping/navigation app to use the device without a data connection.
I use Copilot on mine. Mapdroyd and Navit are free in the Market. What you see in the BB demo units is GOOGLE MAPS. lt requires a data connection to first aquire your location and then you can cache a route. It takes any where from 1-5 minutes to first find your location. It is not 'pseudo GPS'.

Reactions: MahaloCat
Upvote 0
I bought thia tablet because of the gps. I'm a truck driver so it's important to have gps that is dependable. When I first got it ( The first day it was released ) I had problems with my Co Pilot truck soft ware. It would freeze up all the time. Called Acer and ALK, both of whome said the truck program wasn't compatable with the 3.0 OS. After working with it for the first few months the 3.2 update came out... What a diffence. Like night and day. It's now dead on and works btter than my laptop version. The software is called ALK Co Pilot. they have maps for just about any place on earth you may live.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones