Acer Iconia a 500 GPSGeneral

1. Thinking about buying one of these can anyone tell me if they come with GPS as not listed in the specs

Advertisement
  2. kenji57

kenji57 Well-Known Member

Yes it has a GPS, included in 16gb Wi-Fi only A500. You're right though, Acer's site doesn't mention GPS in the specs. Strange
    martinleebriggs likes this.
  3. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

Wonder why,,,,,...yes GPS good fast lock too...
    martinleebriggs likes this.
  4. weddle

weddle Well-Known Member

When I first tried to use GPS it was showing I was somewhere in Pakistan (I live in the USA) even when I had the satellite on. I had to reboot a couple timea
  5. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Well-Known Member

I stopped by BestBuy yesterday to play with the 16GB demo model. I turned off wi-fi, and the "GPS" Settings did not work. The menu for GPS states that it is street level accurate, but it looks like it is based on wifi? Does it truly have a GPS receiver in it? I have a feeling it's pseudo GPS using wifi for location.
  6. Charlesleonard

Charlesleonard Well-Known Member

YES!It has a GPS RCEIVER! Please understand that you must first install a mapping/navigation app to use the device without a data connection.
    I use Copilot on mine. Mapdroyd and Navit are free in the Market. What you see in the BB demo units is GOOGLE MAPS. lt requires a data connection to first aquire your location and then you can cache a route. It takes any where from 1-5 minutes to first find your location. It is not 'pseudo GPS'.
    MahaloCat likes this.
  7. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Well-Known Member

Thanks for the followup. That is exactly what I was using was Google maps. I never thought to try another software.
  8. 1SG31B

1SG31B Well-Known Member

I use GaiaGPS for offline use.
  9. Charlesleonard

Charlesleonard Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with this app. Could you please provide some details, price, features, where to download, etc?

Thanks
  10. dbldipp

dbldipp Well-Known Member

I bought thia tablet because of the gps. I'm a truck driver so it's important to have gps that is dependable. When I first got it ( The first day it was released ) I had problems with my Co Pilot truck soft ware. It would freeze up all the time. Called Acer and ALK, both of whome said the truck program wasn't compatable with the 3.0 OS. After working with it for the first few months the 3.2 update came out... What a diffence. Like night and day. It's now dead on and works btter than my laptop version. The software is called ALK Co Pilot. they have maps for just about any place on earth you may live.