• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help adb help

anytime you just lemme know when your ready it's super easy to do. if i can figure it out anybody can. thanks again for the help i was about to fling this thing into a wall.

you really oughta step up to 2.1 it's a ton better than 1.5

haha, that's what everyone on sdx tell me... and i know that most of the bugs are out - but i do like wireless tether and i was going to mess around with building kernels and such (from joey's instructions). and i have been keeping up with where everything is at...

eventually i will. but personally don't really see the need yet. :)

Upvote 0
Can I get some help too on installing busy box and then doing the build.prop? I'm also having issues. Here is my progress...

I have downloaded busy box ande extracted it inside my sdk tools folder. I then tried to adb push busy box to my phone but at 2 of the commands, I got the permission denied message and now am stuck. I got permission denied also when I was trying to install a livewallpaper apk.

Thanks for any assistance

Upvote 0
Can I get some help too on installing busy box and then doing the build.prop? I'm also having issues. Here is my progress...

I have downloaded busy box ande extracted it inside my sdk tools folder. I then tried to adb push busy box to my phone but at 2 of the commands, I got the permission denied message and now am stuck. I got permission denied also when I was trying to install a livewallpaper apk.

Thanks for any assistance

Have you installed joey's recovery? I believe it comes with busybox in there already. do you have root?

edit: read in another thread you have his recovery. what commands do you get stuck at?

Upvote 0
Having problems installing busybox. First one is when I get to the part where I have to type in:

./busybox

when i hit enter it tells me "permission denied"

I then (just out of curiousity) moved on to the next commands and got all the way to:

/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin

Then I got "permission denied" again! Can anyone help?

Thats it ^^^

Also, I just redownloaded the build.prop file. I think this one is different than the first one I downloaded..

The name of it is, "dd10.build.prop"

So how do I get this on my phone to access to protected apps? Thanks

Upvote 0

Couple of questions/items:

1. You rename the files you downloaded to just build.prop (no extension - so make sure windows doesn't put one on there)

2. Don't you already have busybox on your phone? Check in the directory /system/sbin --> just a little bit confused on why you're trying to manually put it in /system/xbin? Which instructions are you following? If you're using adb, type:

1. adb shell
2. cd /system/sbin
3. ls -l

If you see busybox in there, then you shouldn't have to do all that copying, etc.

3. When you're typing in your commands, are you # or are you $

Let's start from there.

Upvote 0
I'm using connectbot and am trying to do the build.prop fix and am now stuck. I typed in the command to mount the system and then a # appears below after pressing enter. On the next command I type "cd sdcard" and I get the message "can't cd to sdcard". Please help...

Btw, after putting in the mount command, I don't get any special messages, is that normal?

Upvote 0
Couple of questions/items:

1. You rename the files you downloaded to just build.prop (no extension - so make sure windows doesn't put one on there)

2. Don't you already have busybox on your phone? Check in the directory /system/sbin --> just a little bit confused on why you're trying to manually put it in /system/xbin? Which instructions are you following? If you're using adb, type:

1. adb shell
2. cd /system/sbin
3. ls -l

If you see busybox in there, then you shouldn't have to do all that copying, etc.

3. When you're typing in your commands, are you # or are you $

Let's start from there.

Didn't see your post, I just checked and saw that busy box was in the sbin folder.

I'm not even sure anymore what method to use cause it seems like nothing works :(

I may try to adb push again. But ill probably end up getting some permission denied errr again :rolleyes:

Can you walk me through how you did it?

Upvote 0
good, that's a start... when you used connectbot, you weren't still connected to your computer were you?

here's the steps i would take:
1. put "build.prop" onto your sdcard
2. make sure your computer is disconnected from your phone and open up connectbot
3. connect to your computer through connectbot
4. type "su" (enter) and the $ should become #
5. type "mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/stl5 /system" (enter) - shouldn't give you any errors - this puts your /system folder in read-write mode
6. type "cd sdcard" - this should access your sdcard (where you put the new build.prop)
7. type "cat /system/build.prop /sdcard/buildbak.prop" (backup of build.prop)
8. type "busybox cp -R build.prop /system" (copies the build.prop on your sdcard to /system over the previous version)
9. type "mount -t rfs -o remount,ro /dev/stl5 /system" to remount your system as read-only
10. follow the rest of the instructions:

Once phone is completed booting, enter "Date & time" settings and set time to 11:59pm. After time/date has changed to 12:00am (the next day), open Market and search for apps.
Open "Date & time" settings and reselect Automatic
Enjoy protected apps in the market

i actually haven't done this because i'm still on 1.5; but this should work in terms of getting build.prop onto your phone. if you've backed up build.prop already, then don't worry about step 7. let me know what step you get stuck at or the result of the step.

good luck!

Upvote 0
I got to step 6 and it said the same thing again. ("Can't cd to sdcard")

I did exactly what you instructed above. On step 5, I put in the mount command in connectbot and got a message I didn't get before ("usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] devices directory"). Should I have got that? I then put in the command "cd sdcard" and that's when I got the "can't cd to card" error. I tried using adb while I was still connected and had similar results.

I did step 5 and it said "'mount' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Out of curiousity, I typed in cd sdcard anyway and got this message: "The system cannot find the patch specified."

Fyi:

The build.prop file is correctly named and on the root of my sdcard.

Upvote 0

I did exactly what you instructed above. On step 5, I put in the mount command in connectbot and got a message I didn't get before ("usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] devices directory"). Should I have got that? I then put in the command "cd sdcard" and that's when I got the "can't cd to card" error. I tried using adb while I was still connected and had similar results.

I did step 5 and it said "'mount' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Out of curiousity, I typed in cd sdcard anyway and got this message: "The system cannot find the patch specified."

Fyi:

open up connectbot
type "ls -l" (lower case "L")

do you see sdcard?

try "cd /sdcard" instead (you may not be starting in the right directory)

Upvote 0

I did exactly what you instructed above. On step 5, I put in the mount command in connectbot and got a message I didn't get before ("usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] devices directory"). Should I have got that? I then put in the command "cd sdcard" and that's when I got the "can't cd to card" error.

Fyi:

for step 5, try typing in "mount rw" instead of the previous and when you want to remount, type in "mount ro"

Upvote 0
try "cd /sdcard" instead (you may not be starting in the right directory)

for step 5, try typing in "mount rw" instead of the previous and when you want to remount, type in "mount ro"

That did the trick I think! When I tried "cd sdcard", it didn't work but once I put "cd /sdcard", it didn't give me an error. Bout to check the market. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
That did the trick I think! When I tried "cd sdcard", it didn't work but once I put "cd /sdcard", it didn't give me an error. Bout to check the market. Thank you so much!

glad to hear it worked... yeah, the whole "cd sdcard" was written with the assumption that when you connect, you start out in your base root... typing it in with the "/" allows you to switch directories no matter what directory you're in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones