• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Adding new ringtones

RhinoCan

Jul 5, 2015
Is it possible to add new ringtones to a phone running Android 4.4.2? I found the panel where I can select from the ringtones already on the phone but I don't see any option to add new ringtones. I don't see anything in the user guide for my phone either, an HTC 320. It would surprise me if there's no way to add new ringtones but perhaps I'm expecting too much....

It's not that there's anything wrong with the existing selections; I just want to know if I can add others. If I can, how do I do it?

On most recent devices I've owned, I've been able to use any MP3 on the SD Card as a ringtone. Can you drop a few of your own MP3's on there and see if they sh0w up in the list.

You used to have to put them in a folder called "Ringtones" (minus the quotes), but I don't think that's the case any more. Altough there's no harm in giving it a go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't actually have an SD card in the phone yet and I don't have any ringtone files that I particularly want to add, although finding them shouldn't be hard.

What app do I use to access the underlying file system? And where do I find the Ringtones folder once I've started the right app?

I'm pretty tech-savvy with computers and I used to have a Palm III but this is my first contact with Android so I'm missing some of the basics.

Upvote 0
What about Zedge?
Easiest way I know how to add a ringtone :)
As far as an app to peruse the file systems, you should have some sort of stock file browser on the device. Not sure what it's called on the HTC 320, but there are other apps in the Play Store for file browsing.

(off topic because I'm watching it--the women's USA soccer team just scored its 4rd goal in the first 15 minutes :D :D )

back to on topic...
ES File Explorer or Xplore in the Play Store...

Upvote 0
Okay, we have a few balls in the air here so let's pursue them.

Re the SD card, if I take the back off my phone, there's a place for an memory card (SD? microSD? I don't recall) but it's empty right now. I have to remove the battery but if I do, I can slide an SD card into place beside the microSIM card. I'll probably get such a card before too long. In the meantime though, I seem to be able to store apps, take photos and find them in the gallery, etc. so I assume there is some additional onboard storage aside from the empty card position.

Re finding the Ringtones file, I saw something called File Manager on the phone and, after a few clicks, found that it lists folders, the last of which is Ringtones. There are only two short .ogg files in it at the moment; the other ringtones I've seen on the phone apparently reside elsewhere. Do I try to put a new .mp3 in the Ringtones folder anyway in the hope that the Ringtones settings will "see" it there?

I haven't tried Zedge yet; will try that now.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I tried Zedge since my last post and found a multitude of ringtones, wallpapers, notifications etc. I installed a few but don't know any way to verify that the currently selected tones are completely satisfactory. I can't find the screen I was on yesterday that had the long list of possible ringtones. Can anyone remind me where to find that?

Failing that, I'm going to have to wait for texts and voice calls to come in until I can hear the tones and decide if they're appropriate.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to add new ringtones to a phone running Android 4.4.2? I found the panel where I can select from the ringtones already on the phone but I don't see any option to add new ringtones. I don't see anything in the user guide for my phone either, an HTC 320. It would surprise me if there's no way to add new ringtones but perhaps I'm expecting too much....

It's not that there's anything wrong with the existing selections; I just want to know if I can add others. If I can, how do I do it?
Hi , you can have free ringtones for download in this website : www.lazytone.me just choose your name and mix it with the song you like ! it's easy and unique :)

Upvote 0
Hi , you can have free ringtones for download in this website : www.lazytone.me just choose your name and mix it with the song you like ! it's easy and unique :)

Came across about lazytone.me from other forums after searching for name ringtones, from what I understand it's not a website for downloading ringtones but name ringtones maker/mixer instead. Well, just try on it and my name is not there, just requested, wait for the name to be available to create own name ringtones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones