• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Just wanted to say one thing...i appreciate all the posters replying and not saying anything like "why post goodbye? Just go. Troll". I've seen this many times in other threads like this where all someone wanted to do was share their experience and where it's taken them. Makes me sad to see people getting badgered for not doing anything even remotely trollish

Side note: i left eris for a droid 2. The eris was a great phone to introduce me to android

Angry? I wouldn't call myself a troll. I'd also not call myself a big time poster. I've followed this forum for a while. Even before I got an Eris. The Eris also introduced me to Android and I appreciate it. It's just time to move on. Seriously, who in this world doesn't want the latest greatest new device. Especially people on these forums are gadget junkies like myself. The droid 2 is a pretty sweet phone BTW

Upvote 0
Uh, why can't they fix these battery issues before releasing these phones?

I'm sure we can all say that about the issues of every new phone out there. In my opinion, I think manufacturers have only so much money they can spend on producing product per item and have to cut corners somewhere... Some cut corners on overall speed. Some on battery life. Crap part of business.

Upvote 0
I was very frustrated with my Eris after the 2.1 update. The dialer got worse, it would freeze and randomly "reboot" showing the HTC logo for 20 seconds or so, and then come back up. There were other misc. things going wrong with it, too. All of that finally pushed me to root my phone, and now I love it. I figured, "what the hell.... it's already sucking. If I screw something up by rooting, I'll just get a new phone."
With the 1 click root, it's so easy. I used Titanium Backup to re-install my apps and preferences, and switched to using LauncherPro. I'm still fiddling with it, but I have to be honest, I LIKE fiddling with it. So it's probably not as big a deal to me.

I totally understand the frustration, though. It's an expensive bit of technology that should just work. I like the Chevy analogy... Except for me it would be a Colt Turbo : )

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Thanks Quasinerd.

When I purchased the phone, I was expecting great things because at that time the reviews were quite decent. Of course, after I purchased it, crap hit the fan and updates almost made it worse.

I guess my fear with rooting is that if I were to take the time to do it, and I screw it all up, I don't have a backup to replace it. Who knows if it takes a day or two to figure how to get working again. Which is this whole dilemma. Then again, a phone shouldn't have to be rooted to kick @ss.

Upvote 0
Angry? I wouldn't call myself a troll. I'd also not call myself a big time poster. I've followed this forum for a while. Even before I got an Eris. The Eris also introduced me to Android and I appreciate it. It's just time to move on. Seriously, who in this world doesn't want the latest greatest new device. Especially people on these forums are gadget junkies like myself. The droid 2 is a pretty sweet phone BTW
i think you misunderstood him. he is saying he is glad nobody came out trolling and telling you to just leave!

Upvote 0
i think you misunderstood him. he is saying he is glad nobody came out trolling and telling you to just leave!

Well then my apologies. I've been on some forums and some posters get a bit rude for no reason. I respect everyone in this forum because they playfully slap each other around especially when everyone was waiting for 4 months for 2.1 to come out. Also, everyone wants to help. Which is nice.

Upvote 0
I agree its time for everyone to move away from the Eris. Its just too slow to run Android. Most people dont understand that the Eris uses the same 528mhz Arm11 CPU as the original Google G1 phone which was the first Android phone out and which is now practically obsolete. All the 1ghz Arm7 phones like the DroidX, Incredible, EVO, ect are 4 times faster despite only having about twice the clock. Android def needs Arm7 CPU to run well. The Arm 11 CPU in the Eris is like an ancient 486 PC.

Upvote 0
A faster phone would be nice but my Eris feels just as fast as my friend's Incredible when being used as a phone or with your average app. But then I can wait an extra 2 seconds to load a website.

The biggest difference I've noticed between them is the speed of installing apps; The Eris slows to a crawl when installing an app whereas the more powerful phones don't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones