• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ADW Launcher

That's weird. If it installed successfully that means it's there. It's just a matter of switching to it. One thing I ended up doing though within Clockwork, I ended up renaming it to update.zip, and installed it. Then I downloaded Home Switcher and it came up. It's there if it installed successfully, it's just a matter of getting to it somehow....

Just to update, it seems the DarkEdge theme/rom is my problem. I am running the DarkEdge theme, using their nandroid starter rom. Cannot seem to get this launcher to work. I even reflashed the starter rom and tried the launcher before any additional theming, still no luck.

On a whim, I flashed to Cyanogen, then installed this launcher and it worked perfectly. So it seems to be an issue with the DarkEdge starter rom.

Is anyone successfully using this launcher with the DarkEdge theme on their starter rom?

And thanks to everyone who tried to help me get this going this morning!

Upvote 0
FYI - to those who have Helix2, it must be uninstalled or ADW will not even appear installed.
I came across this on accident, and now it's working. Other than just two dock icons it's great. Very little to no redraw, versus the constant redraws on Helix.
Very nice, VERY fast. Love it.

I agree with you. For a BETA this is amazing! I'm a huge Bugless Beast fan, I hope Pete will have an option of incorporating this into one of his ROMs. Shoot even if Fab did it, that would be nice. This "Home" is the best I've seen to date. It's still crazy this is BETA. The creativity and customization of it is definitely open. Can't wait to see the final version....

Upvote 0
FYI - to those who have Helix2, it must be uninstalled or ADW will not even appear installed.
I came across this on accident, and now it's working. Other than just two dock icons it's great. Very little to no redraw, versus the constant redraws on Helix.
Very nice, VERY fast. Love it.

Strange. This couldn't have been more laggy for me and everytime I went back to home I had redraw that would take 10 seconds at least. It was 100 times worse than Helix 2 ever has been. And I didn't have Helix 2 installed, so that wasn't my issue. But swiping from screen was choppy at best, my battery life plummeted and "speed" is the opposite of what I'd use to describe my experience with this home replacement. I had to get rid of it. It definitely has some promise, though. I might check it out again once some updates are made. But for now I'll stick with Helix 2 as I have absolutely no issues with lag or FCs with it.

Upvote 0
Strange. This couldn't have been more laggy for me and everytime I went back to home I had redraw that would take 10 seconds at least. It was 100 times worse than Helix 2 ever has been. And I didn't have Helix 2 installed, so that wasn't my issue. But swiping from screen was choppy at best, my battery life plummeted and "speed" is the opposite of what I'd use to describe my experience with this home replacement. I had to get rid of it. It definitely has some promise, though. I might check it out again once some updates are made. But for now I'll stick with Helix 2 as I have absolutely no issues with lag or FCs with it.

You have something strange going on here and I don't think you are seeing this launcher at the speed we all are. I've used every launcher and this one is the fastest...by a lot! I intentionally opened as many apps as possible trying to drain my phone of RAM (which is harder to do on BB 1.0 :)) and I got it down to the 25MB range...the launcher was just as fast and responsive with no lag and no redraws.

The only problem I have seen is that if you switch from landscape to portrait (when on the homescreen), it can crash.

If you like Helix...that fine, I'm not trying to convince you ADW is a better launcher, I just think you had some kind of conflict on you phone that didn't allow you to see this operate correctly.

Upvote 0
You have something strange going on here and I don't think you are seeing this launcher at the speed we all are. I've used every launcher and this one is the fastest...by a lot! I intentionally opened as many apps as possible trying to drain my phone of RAM (which is harder to do on BB 1.0 :)) and I got it down to the 25MB range...the launcher was just as fast and responsive with no lag and no redraws.

The only problem I have seen is that if you switch from landscape to portrait (when on the homescreen), it can crash.

If you like Helix...that fine, I'm not trying to convince you ADW is a better launcher, I just think you had some kind of conflict on you phone that didn't allow you to see this operate correctly.

Yeah this is by far the best!! Surprisingly when I had the setting to switch to landscape, it didn't force close on me or anything. It works really great. Speed and quality is all in ADW Launcher

Upvote 0
Open source PWNS

Dark Edge + ADW + BB V1.1/Froyo 2.2 = jizz in my pants
Let's make it happen :D

Is this how you looked?

jizz.jpg

Upvote 0
I had a hard time installing the launcher using SPrecovery. It kept saying installation aborted. So I had to use Root Explorer to extract the file then installed the launcher.apk from the extracted folder.
So far the launcher seems pretty cool, does anyone know how to arrange the hidden 6 docked apps in a particular order fom left to right rather than just randomly fillng the 6 spaces?

Upvote 0

Initially it was super fast. But after about 8 hours of using it I ended up with bugs. I was getting strange FCs that I'd never seen before (not the launcher force closing, but something to do with the android system itself). I really wanted it to work, because I liked some of its design features (after a while I grew to really enjoy the two tiny icons). But I have amazing success with Helix 2 - it's super fast even when I'm overclocking only to 600-700Mhz. I've noticed most people experience issues with Helix 2 and ADW works great for them. My phone appears to perform opposite of everyone else.

Upvote 0
Initially it was super fast. But after about 8 hours of using it I ended up with bugs. I was getting strange FCs that I'd never seen before (not the launcher force closing, but something to do with the android system itself). I really wanted it to work, because I liked some of its design features (after a while I grew to really enjoy the two tiny icons). But I have amazing success with Helix 2 - it's super fast even when I'm overclocking only to 600-700Mhz. I've noticed most people experience issues with Helix 2 and ADW works great for them. My phone appears to perform opposite of everyone else.

Haha...No one said these phones didn't have personalities of their own! :D

Upvote 0
I had a hard time installing the launcher using SPrecovery. It kept saying installation aborted. So I had to use Root Explorer to extract the file then installed the launcher.apk from the extracted folder.
So far the launcher seems pretty cool, does anyone know how to arrange the hidden 6 docked apps in a particular order fom left to right rather than just randomly fillng the 6 spaces?

Hmm...I don't think you can reorder them once they are on there but if you remove them all and then put them in the order you want from left to right, it shouldn't be an issue. When you put an icon on the bar it automatically goes to the right of the other icons.

Upvote 0
Wow, this launcher is pretty awesome. I miss having four docked apps, but that's fine, I rarely move from the home screen anyway. The speed is pretty incredible, I'm getting just as good if not better benchmark and Linpack scores as I was with Helix2. Plus, no more redrawing of apps or widgets. Thanks for the find guys!
(also I know someone mentioned that it won't properly function without uninstalling Helix2, and I never did with no problems)

Upvote 0

Ditto. I had some strange force closes and everytime I added a widget it would freeze for a bit. The app drawer was super fast but I use app organizer so I don't use the drawer that often. And with helix2 being so stable on BB 1.0 for me I think I am just going to stick with it for now. But kudos to any dev creating something new for me to try and I am sure it will only get better.

Upvote 0

I'm still having this problem... I've tried everything I can think of... extracted the Launcher.apk and tried installing that using ApkInstaller and that fails with 'installation failed'...
I've tried renaming /system/app/Launcher.apk and then doing the install and that still fails... I use Home+ as my default so I can remove Launcher and Launcher2 but still install fails...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Upvote 0
I'm still having this problem... I've tried everything I can think of... extracted the Launcher.apk and tried installing that using ApkInstaller and that fails with 'installation failed'...
I've tried renaming /system/app/Launcher.apk and then doing the install and that still fails... I use Home+ as my default so I can remove Launcher and Launcher2 but still install fails...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

It's not an installable .apk. My guess is that it's not signed.

Either push it to /system/app with adb, or use root explorer, or download ROM manager, flash Clockwork, and 'install from sd card'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones