• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alarm clock not working on Eris

I saw this in Jason's signature line above:

Jason

HTC Eris + Android 2.1 = iPhone killer

I have an Eris phone with a rom version 1.5 or something.

Can it be upgraded to a 2.1 version or that something else?

I am quite annoyed with the way that the touch screen works. I'm hoping to find some kind of upgrade that might fix these problems.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Thanks, whoever (& how many ever) said to uncheck the clock on the ATK. I've been having to remember to go into Alarm to each individual alarm (3-me, kids up, bus stop, so it's annoying & hard to remember) to click Done so it would tell me it was going to go off as planned. Tomorrow I'll see if it was just me killing it every time I killed the rest of the telenoise.

Upvote 0
HOLY CRAP - THANK YOU. :eek:
I was really startin' to sound like a bum, using the same "I didn't hear my alarm go off" 'excuse' every time the thing wouldn't wake me up (should probably get a real alarm clock anyway).
:D

Finally solved this problem for my phone. Turns out ... If you take a picture (using the pre-installed Camera app) when the Ringer Volume is on vibrate or mute, it will turn the Alarm Volume to mute. If you take a picture when the Ringer Volume is at some audible level, it will turn the Alarm Volume down. No wonder it seemed random.

Now, whenever I set an alarm, I go to Alarm Sound & then press the volume keys on the left side of the phone to make sure the Alarm Volume is set to max.

Reactions: southterp
Upvote 0
Great post! I had the same problem, went to the Verizon store, and after messing with it for a while, they suggested re-setting to factory defaults (erasing apps and custom settings from what i understand). Before I did that, I figured I would check if anyone else is having this problem, and sure enough this completely fixed it! Thanks again!

I had this problem too. I registered because so many people have had this problem and the answer is simple and I wanted to share it.

Go into your clock, click on the alarm you're setting.

Then, click on "Alarm Sound." Choose your sound, AND be sure to hit the volume up rocker on the side of your phone. For some reason, the alarm is either initially set at silent, or it gets turned down to silent when you silence your phone.

Either way, make sure your alarm sound is up at an audible level so that you can hear it.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
My alarm clock will not work if I set it before a certain time in the morning. For example I set the alarm for 3:45am this morning and it never went off. Also when I set it the time box on the alarm page turned black instead of staying white. I know all about turning the volume up in the alarm, and about the task killer but that is not the problem.

on a side note... i keep trying to delete people from my favorites (phone favorites) and they keep coming back up in that section.

Upvote 0
My alarm clock will not work if I set it before a certain time in the morning. For example I set the alarm for 3:45am this morning and it never went off. Also when I set it the time box on the alarm page turned black instead of staying white. I know all about turning the volume up in the alarm, and about the task killer but that is not the problem.

When an alarm is set to ring during night time (6 pm to 5:59 am), the background for the time for that alarm will be black (rather than white).

Upvote 0
SERIOUSLY. i almost didn't believe that this could be it, but it is. even tapping the screen while in camera mode (when you would hear the sound of the auto focus if it wasn't in vibrate/silent mode) decreases the alarm volume to zero!!!!

this is an absolutely ridiculous glitch. or a cruel, cruel joke.

Finally solved this problem for my phone. Turns out when you take a picture, it affects the Alarm Sound volume. If you take a picture (using the pre-installed Camera app) when the Ringer Volume is on vibrate or mute, it will turn the Alarm Volume to mute. If you take a picture when the Ringer Volume is at some audible level, it will turn the Alarm Volume down. No wonder it seemed random.

Now, whenever I set an alarm, I go to Alarm Sound & then press the volume keys on the left side of the phone to make sure the Alarm Volume is set to max.

To review, for those who haven't read this entire thread, the problem is that when an alarm is set (using the pre-installed app Clock, then going to Alarm), it often works fine but then seemingly randomly, it stops working. In this case, at the alarm time, the screen shows the alarm has activated & the track ball flashes, but there is no sound.

I'm told by HTC that this will be fixed in OS 2.1 (but they don't know when it's coming out).

Upvote 0
Rather than starting a new post with the exact same title, I am going to jack it and ask my question :)

My alarm is on. The sound is up, the alarm is set. I always double check, and yes it is set for the proper time and days.

It doesn't go off. Not at all. I'm not talking it flashes on the screen but doesn't make a noise....It does not even register that the alarm is set for that time. Nothing at all happens.

It worked for about 3 days, and then nothing. I just downloaded task killer, so I will make sure not to kill the clock when I kill things, but even before I got task killer it stopped working.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I have the same problem as Katie. Initially (a month ago or so), I had no sound, so I hit the sound as I was setting the tone and it worked great. Now, in the last day or two, only vibrate comes on. I've done everything I can think of to turn up the sound - works when I set it and at the loudest setting - but only then. There is no sound when any of the alarms are set to go off.

I tried to download an alarm from Market, but I have downloading errors when I try. (Hasn't happened with any other apps)

HELP!

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem. I do nothing to change the sound down and all the sudden it doesnt work. I am taking my phone in today. this is the second eris I have had in 15days. On the first one the speaker phone stopped working....

My alarm clock does not ring when i set it. I do use TasKiller but I don't kill the clock app when I'm expecting it to ring. Its unreliable and its the only thing i absolutely hate about this phone. Is anyone else having this problem? seems like something petty to visit the VZ tech guys for, but i've been late to work too many times since getting my phone. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I had this issue. I was using a task killer but did not have it killing any tasks automatically I would manually kill tasks. I had my alarms set and only 1 alarm would go off. Clock task was running, volumes were up, sounds were set, silent was not set. I removed the task killer app completely and my phone began to work normal again. I still can kill tasks I just have to use the tool built into astro file manager now to do it which is fine as I prefer it to advanced task killer anyway.

Upvote 0
This does "reset" the alarm sound on. However it can still go back to silent because of the camera. Took my phone to verizon, they didn't even know it was a problem, and of course, had no clue how to fix it. They told me to check it every night and make sure the sound is up. which seems so odd since the alarm is so customizable. I have it set for M TU TH F S. should have to check it every night. HTC needs to work on this ASAP. Would not have purchased the phone if I knew this.:mad:

Great post! I had the same problem, went to the Verizon store, and after messing with it for a while, they suggested re-setting to factory defaults (erasing apps and custom settings from what i understand). Before I did that, I figured I would check if anyone else is having this problem, and sure enough this completely fixed it! Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Here is how I fixed my alarm not ringing. I downloaded audio manager from the market. I set up some profiles ensuring that the alarm volume was up for the alarm.

I then closed all programs with my app/task killer. Once all apps were killed I openned the clock app and set some alarms. I then returned to the task/app killer and excluded and programs accosiated with the clock. Wham, no more problems of alarms not going off.

Upvote 0
I'm very new to the forum and to the Eris phone, and I use alarms for several things during the day. I work two jobs, so I'm frequently dosing off whenever I can, and I need this damn alarm to wake me up when/if I do doze off. I have it set to wake me after I get up (15 minutes before leaving), 5 minutes before I have to leave my truck to go in to work...15 minutes before leaving to my second job, etc. basically, I need the alarm to save me from myself! well, I have tried just about everything on this forum, and nothing works 100% of the time. if anyone has had their alarm work 100% of the time for over a week, I want to know how you did it. and if it involves going back to the default settings once every two or three days, that's not it. I feel like going back to my LG voyager, which worked EACH and every time, without fail

Upvote 0
I'm very new to the forum and to the Eris phone, and I use alarms for several things during the day. I work two jobs, so I'm frequently dosing off whenever I can, and I need this damn alarm to wake me up when/if I do doze off. I have it set to wake me after I get up (15 minutes before leaving), 5 minutes before I have to leave my truck to go in to work...15 minutes before leaving to my second job, etc. basically, I need the alarm to save me from myself! well, I have tried just about everything on this forum, and nothing works 100% of the time. if anyone has had their alarm work 100% of the time for over a week, I want to know how you did it. and if it involves going back to the default settings once every two or three days, that's not it. I feel like going back to my LG voyager, which worked EACH and every time, without fail

I had the same issue and it was a pain. I downloaded Gentle Alarm from the Market, I think it was $2 or $3 and I haven't had a problem since. It takes a bit more setting up, you have to create profiles and then alarms, but I LOVE it!!!! You can set up as many alarms as you need and you can also name them anything you want which might help keep you organized.

Upvote 0
I had this problem too. I registered because so many people have had this problem and the answer is simple and I wanted to share it.

Go into your clock, click on the alarm you're setting.

Then, click on "Alarm Sound." Choose your sound, AND be sure to hit the volume up rocker on the side of your phone. For some reason, the alarm is either initially set at silent, or it gets turned down to silent when you silence your phone.

Either way, make sure your alarm sound is up at an audible level so that you can hear it.

Hope that helps!

Thanks mine was doing that exact thing, not it works fine...

Upvote 0
I had the same issue and it was a pain. I downloaded Gentle Alarm from the Market, I think it was $2 or $3 and I haven't had a problem since. It takes a bit more setting up, you have to create profiles and then alarms, but I LOVE it!!!! You can set up as many alarms as you need and you can also name them anything you want which might help keep you organized.

thanks, I will try that, but is that a ONE time fee of 2 or 3 dollars? I hope so, but I'm almost willing to try anything at this point!!

Upvote 0
Another alternative would be to set reminders in your calander... those have always worked without fail for me.

It is so odd that some people's alarms don't work. Mine always goes of promptly at 8am to take my pill and when I do use it to wake up before work (I work nights and don't usually sleep in the evening before work) it has always worked.

There has to be tons of free alarm apps out there that might be more reliable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones