• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

alpha GB 2.3 aosp

anyone else getting the international data roaming alert, it's happened to me twice now while sitting in the house

I've gotten it once or twice. I think it only pops up when the phone goes into roaming. Not really to sure though. I just ignore it. Hopefully it's not a billing problem for me down the line. I suspect it won't be though.

Upvote 0
I am trying to use Method III with Terminal Emulator to flash ClockworkMod Recovery version 3.0.0.5. However it keeps telling me that I do not have "flash_image" or something when I enter in the commands.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I have the wrong version of Terminal Emulator? I have the one that is version 1.0.21.

It's not just you. I think many others are having that same issue.

Did you use this one ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0.0.5 - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I am trying to use Method III with Terminal Emulator to flash ClockworkMod Recovery version 3.0.0.5. However it keeps telling me that I do not have "flash_image" or something when I enter in the commands.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I have the wrong version of Terminal Emulator? I have the one that is version 1.0.21.

It seems like you have the right version. I flashed it through rom manager with no problems. Its on the wiki page. Just make sure you place the recovery you download and rename in the same folder where the ". Xxx" is

Upvote 0
As mentioned before CWM 2.5 works just fine, I would wait until 3.0 is more stable as it seems many are having different issues with it, if you absolutely want to flash the 3.0 and phone is not taking it via TE, then either you have an older version of TE, or you will have to force it from ABD ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think I am just going to stick with ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.1 for now. I still do not understand why Terminal Emulator will not flash it though, but it is not a huge deal because I can just use ROM Manager like DonB said. Is it possible that using Z4Root to root my handset is the reason why Terminal Emulator will not recognize the flash_image command? Maybe I need to install BusyBox, though I thought that was installed when one rooted?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I see the problem. My ROM does not have the flash_image utility installed, which is why Terminal Emulator cannot use it. How would I know if BusyBox is installed though, because I thought Z4Root said it installs it when you root?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think I am just going to stick with ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.1 for now. I still do not understand why Terminal Emulator will not flash it though, but it is not a huge deal because I can just use ROM Manager like DonB said. Is it possible that using Z4Root to root my handset is the reason why Terminal Emulator will not recognize the flash_image command? Maybe I need to install BusyBox, though I thought that was installed when one rooted?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I see the problem. My ROM does not have the flash_image utility installed, which is why Terminal Emulator cannot use it. How would I know if BusyBox is installed though, because I thought Z4Root said it installs it when you root?

You can use TB to install busybox

Upvote 0
You can use TB to install busybox

How would I do that? I saw some BusyBox installer in the Android Market, but was not sure if it was good.

I think ultimately, once I flash to a different ROM it will not matter anyway. BusyBox and flash_image are surely already included in custom ROMs, at least they have been in my experience. I was just mistaken to think flash_image was on the stock ROM by default, I guess. Where would I look to see if BusyBox is installed on my stock ROM after Z4Root, so I can flash back to it and check later?

Upvote 0
How would I do that? I saw some BusyBox installer in the Android Market, but was not sure if it was good.

I think ultimately, once I flash to a different ROM it will not matter anyway. BusyBox and flash_image are surely already included in custom ROMs, at least they have been in my experience. I was just mistaken to think flash_image was on the stock ROM by default, I guess. Where would I look to see if BusyBox is installed on my stock ROM after Z4Root, so I can flash back to it and check later?

The busybox installer in TB is in the 'Problems' part of the main screen in TB

Upvote 0
Heh, I think I will wait until things are more stable then. I also think the VM Heap is too large by default.

My friend flashed his Sprint HTC Hero to this and has not had booting problems though. He said he was thinking of trying the Deca kernel himself.

I haven't had any issues at all since flashing it a few days ago. Best ROM I've ever installed. Changes the phone - for the better - completely.

Upvote 0

Use method 2 - Aosps Build Remove the Flash_Image code.
You can Add it...But its a pain in the ass.

You can also flash back to a CM6 rom - Flash_image is enabled there.

Method 2 is easiest IMO

Upvote 0
Use method 2 - Aosps Build Remove the Flash_Image code.
You can Add it...But its a pain in the ass.

You can also flash back to a CM6 rom - Flash_image is enabled there.

Method 2 is easiest IMO

Yeah, you are probably right. I did not realize that AOSP removed the flash_image binary and that is a shame. ;)

I actually found a guide to put the flash_image binary back into the system directory using Terminal Emulator which looked pretty straight forward here: [GUIDE] Flash any recovery easily on the phone using flash_image - xda-developers . I just wondered if that would work for our Sprint HTC Hero handsets. I have no problem with using a command line. :)

Upvote 0
Yes I believe it works -
Why don't you just go S-off ?
Then you can flash anything from Bootloader

Yeah, I might, but really it was just a "for my information" type of thing. I do not mind flashing to CyanogenMod ROMs to flash new recoveries or just use the ROM Manager method.

It is not like one has to flash a new recovery that often anyway. I just like to have the information and I appreciate your insight on this.

Reactions: MahaloCat
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones