• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[DISCONTINUED] /e/ 8.1.0 For Harpia

D

Deleted User

/e/

After not having done anything for this phone for so long, I figured I owe you all something cool after all this time. Lovely ladies and not-so-lovely gentlemen, I bring you an unofficial port of /e/, formerly known as "eelo OS", for the budget phone that refuses to die, Motorola's G4 Play.

As always, you take responsibility for what you do to your phone. Don't go filing civil lawsuits against me if your alarm fails to get you up for work in the morning.

The Hell's An /e/?
"/e/ is a non-profit project, in the public interest. We build open-source mobile operating systems that respect users’ data privacy. We’re an international core team of experienced entrepreneurs, developers and designers, and a growing community of contributors." --taken from their website

Basically think Lineage AOSP but instead of just leaving gapps out of it, they're trying to give Google the finger. Their ultimate goal for the future is to make a mobile OS featuring an entire ecosystem (/e/cosystem?) that respects users' privacy. They will have alternatives to the most popular Google services baked in: F-Droid instead of Google Play, something like Telegram instead of Google Hangouts, Lawnchair instead of a proprietary Google launcher (but more on launchers later) etc. As of the time I'm writing this message this is still really early on in the /e/ project though, so don't expect too much just yet.

In fact, these early builds seem completely devoid of anything. So far it looks like it's just slightly reskinned Lineage, but this is bound to change as time goes on.

What Works?
  • Should be everything except what's listed below
What Don't Work?
  • There might not be an app market on there by default, get ready to sideload something
  • Verizon acts weird on here, if you have Verizon on this phone steer clear of this, otherwise proceed with caution
Where's My Source Code?
Don't worry, this took me forever to find too. I used the V1-oreo branch which is Lineage 15.1 based. The trees I'm using come from The Moto8916 Github Repo. Soon I'll throw up my roomservice xml too.

Where's My Download Link?
  • MY MEGA BUILD FOLDER
  • As a side note too, when a good custom kernel comes out for Oreo for this phone, I recommend getting it. I don't know of any as of writing this post, but if you can see one yourself and it looks stable, by all means go for it. Not that there's anything wrong with the stock kernel--it's fine and stable, but custom kernels are usually a bit more optimized.
  • If you want MicroG as well as a replacement for GApps, our MicroG expert on xda MartianMarvel said he followed this thread here and got MicroG working on his /e/ harpia just fine.

Can I See Some Screenshots? (Nougat but basically the same)
2v9ajq0.jpg

34s5ybs.jpg

15g59ww.jpg

Who Should You Give a Special Thanks To?
  • The /e/ team (including but not limited to Gael Duval)
  • Squid/facuarmo/Subhrajyoti/all the guys on the XDA harpia forums for their hard work
  • AOSP

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bcrichster
Theirs a flash code i could give you that you could allow the rom to flash a launcher you want by default

This will basically tell the recovery to extract what ever is in the system folder in the zip and put it in the system folder and it does sets permissions automatically

Heres the code:

Code:
show_progress(0.500000, 0);
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
unmount("/system");

show_progress(0.050000, 5);

If you want to say add a launcher in "/system/priv-app" witch most launcher do you will need to create a "system" foldwr as shown and in that system folder before you zip up the files you make a folder named "priv-app" since its nougat you built make another folder usally make a folder usimg "Home" or "Launcher" and put the apk in their named the same name as the folder and just zip up the rom

However to set the code in a flasher either use es file explorer or qedit on android ir notepad++ on pc to add the above code BE SURE you place the code after the system unmounts and before the boot.img is going to be flashed this way you dont get an error upon flashing!

I added a zip to this to show how you should add the code hope this helps

Attachments

• updater-script.zip
    992 bytes · Views: 282
Upvote 0
Theirs a flash code i could give you that you could allow the rom to flash a launcher you want by default

This will basically tell the recovery to extract what ever is in the system folder in the zip and put it in the system folder and it does sets permissions automatically

Heres the code:

Code:
show_progress(0.500000, 0);
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
unmount("/system");

show_progress(0.050000, 5);

If you want to say add a launcher in "/system/priv-app" witch most launcher do you will need to create a "system" foldwr as shown and in that system folder before you zip up the files you make a folder named "priv-app" since its nougat you built make another folder usally make a folder usimg "Home" or "Launcher" and put the apk in their named the same name as the folder and just zip up the rom

However to set the code in a flasher either use es file explorer or qedit on android ir notepad++ on pc to add the above code BE SURE you place the code after the system unmounts and before the boot.img is going to be flashed this way you dont get an error upon flashing!

I added a zip to this to show how you should add the code hope this helps
Thanks for that code. I think I'll mod the ZIP to throw in some open source apps to do what this does here.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I just made a test version of this ROM where I tried to inject my own launcher and SMS app in there for you guys (Lawnchair and QKSMS, both FOSS apps) using the method mentioned by @Cyberdev . If you're feeling brave, flash that one instead of the normal one and let me know if it works out for you.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Got another update out now, the 11-07 build bumps you up to the October security patch so I recommend all of you go get this new one.

Once again though like I said before, I SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND you all go nab a custom kernel to use with this as well. Squid's kernel is linked in the OP and works great on this phone. To flash a custom kernel you go to recovery and flash the ROM first, then flash the kernel zip after that.

Upvote 0
Got a new 11-11 build up, was speaking with my man @bcrichster and he found where the eelo apps were hidden in the source (yeah they were in there all along). This new build should have eelo stuff like fennec browser, bliss launcher, telegram, and signal SMS.

EDIT: No it doesn't so I took it off for now until I get this figured out

Upvote 0
New build going up as we speak, should be done in the next 10 mins as of writing this

Changes will probably include a newer June security patch and other upstreams from Lineage 15.1. The /e/ version was also bumped to 0.6 (last month it was 0.5) so hopefully that includes some wicked cool new changes. I Unfortunately I can't test these for myself anymore since I gave my G Poor to a friend, so if you find anything else new in this feel free to post up about it. I'm leaving the May 7th build on my google drive as well in case this one doesn't work for some reason and you need to go back

Upvote 0
New build going up on my Mega repo. I think there were a couple upstream changes here and there with lineage 15.1, but other than that there might not be much. I wanted to do this because I found out that Lineage doesn't pull the month's security patch in until somewhere in the middle of the month. I don't use this phone anymore so I can't test it for myself, but that would mean my previous 6/7 build probably only still has May 2019 as its patch. Hopefully this one fixes it for you guys

Upvote 0
Sorry to do this so abruptly, but certain things were brought to my attention about this ROM and its organization. Granted, I knew this was pretty much nothing more than a reskinned Lineage, but apparently they've got some shady practices they participate in.

Because of this, I will be discontinuing all of my eelo builds, effective immediately. Read about it here: https://ewwlo.xyz/evil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones