Alright, Does the phone have Gorilla Glass or not?

Last Updated:

1. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

We need to know and it seems no one has a definitive answer as of yet. Some say yes, some say no idea.

So can anyone chime in with a definitive answer? perhaps from the user manual or a features list?

Advertisement
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Subscribed.

And if it does, I don't know why people/blogs/reviews don't mention that.

I guess then the question is, is it worth mentioning? How "unscratchable" is it exactly and who's willing to take the risk of not using a screen protector?

3. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

I'll throw up $20 via paypal to whomever takes a key/rock/knife or other hard pointy object to their DX screen and reports the results.

Any takers?? ;)

4. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

Double post... Stupid Blackberry!!

5. Vakman

Vakman Well-Known Member

EDIT: Sorry, thought this was regarding the Droid Incredible, thanks dirbonn XD
    Link removed.

6. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Well-Known Member

Why would it follow that if HTC used Gorilla glass in one of their phones that Motorola would use it in one of their phones? Two different companies!

I'll be using a screen protector either way..... just in case! It's a lot easier to pull off a screen protector and install a new one than to replace the screen.

Patiently/Impatiently waiting for the release of the Droid X!

7. Vakman

Vakman Well-Known Member

Thanks, removed like on my previous post.
    Had to be my worst post... in a long time on any forum.
    Anyway, so now all I have is my guess and since Motorola has had good experiences with it, they will likely use it again. But no real information.

8. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

hehe i know what you mean. Although the X doesnt seem too difficult to work on if you need to replace a major component. there was a video floating around. if i find i will posy

9. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

my thing is if they aren't marketing it, then they didn't use it. Hope I'm wrong but I could see them not using it due to the size of the screen and the added cost involved. Shame if that is the case.

10. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I have yet to see a single manufacturer market the fact that they have gorilla glass. :rolleyes:

11. MrTissues

MrTissues Well-Known Member

Did they market the original MotoDroid as having it?

12. maverick96

maverick96 Well-Known Member

BTW the HTC Incredible does not use gorilla glass nor does any HTC android phone for that matter...

13. dirkbonn

dirkbonn Well-Known Member

No prob, I've seen that vid where the guy disassembled the "X".

I did see a video posted on the Sprint forum where a guy was going to return his EVO cuz of the screen lifting issue. Anyway, he decided to test the screen. He used a penny, a wood screw, (the sharp end) and a razor blade. Result..... not a mark on the screen, whatsoever.... The EVO is an htc phone.... can't speak for Motorola, but my guess is the glass is pretty tough! (just a guess though)

14. ICanCin2U

ICanCin2U Active Member

I read a post on a blog that showed an email from motorola that said DX is indeed using the same glass that was on the original droid, sorry, don't have link, will look for it later :D

15. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

I can't understand all these people that claim they have and have played with the Droid X why they can't answer threads from people like us wanting to know if their units had gorilla glass or not. There's a thread floating around that claims to be the user manual to the Droid X. I read thru it completely and didn't see any specs of any kind.

16. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

How are they supposed to know? Take sharp objects to it and potentially scratch the screen?

17. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I'm quite positive that the Droid X will use Gorilla Glass since the original Droid did. It wouldn't make sense for them to downgrade for their upcoming flagship phone.

18. soapinmouth

soapinmouth Well-Known Member

Why do purple keep saying that? There is numerous reports on blogs and forums saying it has gorilla glass and I can tell you from first hand experience my screen is unscratchable, I even talked to a htc cst on the phone who confirmed it.

19. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Does GG sounds like plastic when you flick it? Because i swear my Dinc sounds like plastic and I'm about to see how easy plastic scratches.

20. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

Is this what you're referring to? This was a moderator's quote (FAUguy) who emailed Verizon and Motorola about the phone. He also does phone reviews for Phone Arena:

I've just heard from someone higher up at Verizon Corporate, and was told without a doubt it is 2GB of data for the Droid X[​IMG] hotspot. Also, the screen is Gorilla Glass.

Motorola DROID X MB810 (Xtreme/Shadow) Pre-Release Thread Part 3 - Information Only

21. matrix2004

matrix2004 Active Member

This morning, Moto had a podcast. They mentioned it was the same screen used for the Droid, just bigger.

22. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

23. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

AND WITH THAT, a million X preorder owners release a synchronized sigh of relief

:D