• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMOLED vs. LCD Screens

I have a slcd screen and have no problems with it at all in direct sunlight. In fact, it is just fine.

I've never seen the amoled in direct sunlight, but have zero issues with slcd. I was actually sort of worried with all the people telling me that Dinc sucks in the outdoors and that I would not be able to use it. When I got it, I was all WTF? this is just fine....

MolBasser

Upvote 0
I have a slcd screen and have no problems with it at all in direct sunlight. In fact, it is just fine.

I've never seen the amoled in direct sunlight, but have zero issues with slcd. I was actually sort of worried with all the people telling me that Dinc sucks in the outdoors and that I would not be able to use it. When I got it, I was all WTF? this is just fine....

MolBasser

because you got an slcd if you like looking for shade then Amoled is for you. id rather take my slcd in direct sun and use the phone right where i am.;)

Upvote 0
menu>settings>about phone>hardware information>hardware version 0002 is AMOLED 0003 is SLCD

Another way I stumbled across is, "ADR6300" and "ADR6300 SLCD". I noticed this when my girlfriend's incredible came in the mail. :) If you still have your box, anyways.

FYI - My Incredible just came yesterday from letstalk.com and the hardware version is 0003 and the box says ADR6300VW3.

My daughter's and wife's (bought about 6 weeks ago from Best Buy) boxes say the same thing. I checked my daughter's and she's got HW 0003, I assume my wife's is the same but she's not home to check it. :p

So, I guess we all have the SLCD screens. Are all the new Incredibles SLCD?

Upvote 0
FYI - My Incredible just came yesterday from letstalk.com and the hardware version is 0003 and the box says ADR6300VW3.

My daughter's and wife's (bought about 6 weeks ago from Best Buy) boxes say the same thing. I checked my daughter's and she's got HW 0003, I assume my wife's is the same but she's not home to check it. :p

Yep:

Droid Incredible transitioning from AMOLED to SLCD touchscreens this month | Android Central

There are tales of people getting AMOLED Incredibles as refurbs or warranty replacements, but to get a new one these days you'd basically have to find a store whose Inc inventory is over six months old.

Upvote 0

Yep:

Droid Incredible transitioning from AMOLED to SLCD touchscreens this month | Android Central

There are tales of people getting AMOLED Incredibles as refurbs or warranty replacements, but to get a new one these days you'd basically have to find a store whose Inc inventory is over six months old.

Basically, every new Incredible from Best Buy (early August) and Verizon (mid-August) was SLCD. I got my AMOLED on August 5th from Verizon. As for other retailers/etailers, it depended on when they depleted their AMOLED inventory. I've heard of some ordering from Amazon through September and still getting AMOLED.

As for hardware replacements, Verizon's policy has been to give refurbs based on what you already had. If you have an AMOLED, you get an AMOLED refurb. The only difference is if your request the other screen type, but that hasn't always been honored.

Upvote 0
Menu > Settings > About Phone > Hardware Information > Hardware Version

0002 = amoled
0003 = SLCD

as far as "better" its pretty subjective.

Generally its accepted that:

Amoled is more battery efficient, better "color"

Slcd is "sharper" and provide better viewing in the sun.

Without having seen the two side by side I couldn't tell you which I would prefer ( I have a amoled)

the differences are not supposed to big for anything...

Upvote 0
they are mistaken then, there has been a few members on this forum who have changed screen types successfully.

By just changing the screen only and not the mainboard too? Don't see the purpose if you have to change the mainboard too. Anyway, I got the new screen and when I first turned the phone back on all I got were lines. So I took it back apart and reconnected the ribbon cable and from then on I have nothing but a black screen. I've had it apart looking at it and reconnecting it a hundred times and nothing. I got it from repairsuniverse.com and they have since quit responding to my emails. So basically they have my $100 and I have a junk screen. I DO NOT reccommend buying anything from them, I never will again. By the way, why was my thread merged into this one???? Makes it very hard to respond when you can't find it.

Upvote 0
Side by side.
I had both a 2 and a 3 in my hands, indoors and in direct sun. I fooled with brightness, etc. but was unable to get the 2 (Amoled) to match the 3 (SLCD) in image quality outdoors. Indoors, the 2 looked somewhat more contrasty with images that had a lot of black and light.

Overall, I'd say they're equally incredible phones unless you spend a lot of time in the sun.

Upvote 0
Side by side.
I had both a 2 and a 3 in my hands, indoors and in direct sun. I fooled with brightness, etc. but was unable to get the 2 (Amoled) to match the 3 (SLCD) in image quality outdoors. Indoors, the 2 looked somewhat more contrasty with images that had a lot of black and light.

Overall, I'd say they're equally incredible phones unless you spend a lot of time in the sun.

Compared my original Inc amoled to a thunderbolt and Inc 2 other day and my Inc came in last place indoors at verizon... i played with settings for about an hour.... just saying

Upvote 0
i have an slcd inc and an amoled replacement that just came. there are some flaws in the amoled one like the 2150 batt back sticking the power button, and the trackpad is crooked. i havn't tried it outside, but in the summers im outside alot more than inside.

im thinking im sending the amoled back to vzw. and keeping my slcd. they sent me a replacment cause of the battery removal app crash which a factory reset resolved, but after it was fixed i called back in to cancell the order and it was processed already and shipped. so the rep said keep which ever one i want and send the other one back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones