• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

An update from my Corporate office...

Liberation

May 13, 2010
As some of you might remember...I recently took over ownership of a Wireless Zone in Maryland and I've relayed information that I've been told concerning all things TB here on the forums.

Well, this morning I got an email from the corporate office and spoke to my Verizon rep about it and they're both being told that the delay is caused by a software update and a required manual re-flash on all TB's that have been produced and that it should be released within the next two weeks. In addition, I'm also being told that Skype will NOT be included in the final release...although it has been advertised that it will be.

Once the phone does officially arrive...I will be offering special pricing for forum members on the phone and all accessories! I'll post that information when we get an official release date.

As some of you might remember...I recently took over ownership of a Wireless Zone in Maryland and I've relayed information that I've been told concerning all things TB here on the forums.

Well, this morning I got an email from the corporate office and spoke to my Verizon rep about it and they're both being told that the delay is caused by a software update and a required manual re-flash on all TB's that have been produced and that it should be released within the next two weeks. In addition, I'm also being told that Skype will NOT be included in the final release...although it has been advertised that it will be.

Once the phone does officially arrive...I will be offering special pricing for forum members on the phone and all accessories! I'll post that information when we get an official release date.

If you give me $149.99 for 2 years on two phones, you have my business ;)

Upvote 0
In comes the skeptic.
If they were truly going to release in the next 2 weeks why not give us a date?

Just saying.... I hope it's true.

No date announcement just in case something else comes up and they can't get it launched by the date they give. We will hear a date once everything is perfect on the phone and all that's left is to get them to the customers.

Upvote 0
If it's just a matter of flashing the phones why wouldn't they have the stores do that with the first batch as they're sold rather than it taking another couple of weeks on top of an already late phone?

If I remember right it's been done before this way multiple times when phones are in stock and a bug is found and fixed, a memo is sent out to flash all new phones as they're sold.

Of course it's been years since I was an operations tech and pre-release phone tester at Nextel so maybe everything has changed in this industry.

Upvote 0
So you say you're taking pre-orders?!?!
EmoticonCouchHide.gif

Upvote 0
Seriously on the pricing? Even if I'm out of town? If so, you have my business instead of Best Buy for sure even if I have to wait for you to mail it.

Yup!

Did corporate make any mention of tiered data plans when the TB is released?

One of my lines is up for renewal, can you do 1 year contracts?

No offical word on either yet but we've been hearing the data plans stay the same.

Honestly, the discount isn't as big a deal as getting it into our hands ASAP. If you can beat VZW and BB on delivery, I'd buy.

Also, you mention accessories. What are you getting in stock?

I won't be able to get the phone any sooner than VZW corporate or Best Buy but we will do our best to offer better pricing and overall customer experience.

I've had cases in stock for about two weeks now and we'll be ordering more items as they become available.

If you give me $149.99 for 2 years on two phones, you have my business ;)

:eek:

Seriously if you can get it to me as fast as VZW My business is yours!

I appreciate that!

Upvote 0
So they are going to open each and every retail box in every case and re-flash them manually? That's a very inefficient way to handle it, in my opinion. I would have them do it at the point of sale. I still think the phone is hitting on the 17th.

I'm going to guess that the rep doesn't actually know what the cause is and is simply giving an educated guess so that they look like they know what they are talking about. I believe what Liberation is saying I just don't believe the rep knows what they are talking about as to why...

Upvote 0
How would buying a phone through you work? Do we call Vzw for activation, etc?

Lib,
Here is my take on this. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) I could order through you through email or however you want.
2) You could then add the amount due to my Verizon bill. This may be sketchy - never done it this way but assume it's possible.
3) Ship it
4) I would then be able to activate on my own when it arrives.

Upvote 0
Why not? I mean, just because we have 2 'insiders' quoting the 17th, Liberation quoting in the next 2 weeks, and a CTO saying sometime before the end of Q2, why on earth wouldnt you believe?

I don't understand where everyone is getting that the TB is not coming out until Q2 from the statement made by the CTO. People are taking that way out of context, he was asked about the LTE network and if it was ready. He stated that they will have LTE PHONES on the network on track with their 2nd half of 2011 goal.

He was talking about multiple devices being available by 2nd half 2011, not that the TB wouldn't be available till then. This wasn't a question about the TB. VZW has said that the goal was to have multiple phones that run on the LTE network by 2nd half 2011, the CTO was simply stating that they were still on track for that.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones