• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 7 - Nexus 6P

greenie21

Sep 15, 2016
I recieved a small ota update yesterday with September's security update, it also had some fixes readying the 6p for Nougat, apparently there are battery drain issues with the devices that had upgraded to 7.0, anyone have any info of when the 6p roll out will restart?

I'm wondering the same thing. As soon as I get Android Nougat 7.0 I will make sure to update this thread so that anyone following it can jump on the wagon. Hopefully others will do the same. Then as soon as it is available, we'll all know.

In addition, you could download EarlyBird - News for Android and subscribe to news updates for the Nexus 6P.

Upvote 0
Overall I have not had many issues except when the first beta I was using. I can't say if I have battery issues because I do a lot of testing with my phone and it is plugged in an awful look, so not really good real life test case. No crazy draining though.

Split screen could be better but more on how apps are developed to handle those cases I think.

It has been pretty reliable for me and I do not have too many issues. I run Nova as my main launcher too so wouldn't know any stock launcher issues too.

Upvote 0
Hey guys!!! On Wednesday I got the notification to upgrade my 6P to Nougat, and I began the process. But it got stuck in the rebooting stage and drained my battery. When I got home I changed my cellphone but the update disappeared. Now it's just running on 6.0.1. I checked for updates but I keep getting the message: Your system is up to date. What can I do?

Upvote 0
Not much that you can do but keep checking again. Usually when it's available it notifies you right away. In past experience if a failed install happens, within the hour I would get notified again.

If your phone is rooted I suggest using FlashFire https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.flash

FlashFire will install the OTA and patch to stay rooted. Just once the OTA downloads, don't reboot to install but open FlashFire... It will detect the OTA.

Upvote 0
I'm getting the update now! How do you guys like it so far? Any specific opinions/impressions on performance?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160921-133846.png
    Screenshot_20160921-133846.png
    715.5 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0
@greenie21 have you tried booting into recovery to wipe your cache partition? That can sometimes correct boot loop issues.

1) If your device is on, turn it off.
2) Press & hold the Volume down button. While holding Volume down, press & hold the Power button until the device turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it (except on the Nexus 9).
3) Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Recovery mode."
4) Press the Power button to start recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
5) Press & hold the Power button. While holding Power, press the Volume up button once. Then release Power.
6) Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Wipe cache partition," and then press the Power button to select it.
7) Press the Volume down button until you highlight “Yes,” and then press the Power button to select it.
8) Wait until the cache is wiped. You’ll see the words, “Cache wipe complete.”
9) Press the Power button to restart your device.

If that doesn't work, you could also try flashing one of the fancy new OTA images to correct problems arising from a bad flash:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/ota

Failing that, the next thing to try would be a factory reset from recovery. Keep in mind that if you go that route you will lose all the data on the phone and also need to sign in with the same Google account once it comes back up.

Reactions: greenie21
Upvote 0
Followed your instructions and wiped the cache partition but phone remained the same on restart so have just completed a factory reset, set it up as a new device and not from a previous backup and fingers crossed all seems good at the moment
Will reinstall my apps and personalise tomorrow if it has solved the problem
Thanks for your help
Your instructions were spot on and may have save me the hassle and time of using the huawei warranty.
Once again thanks a lot!

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones