• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Email - Custom Notifications?

Jacket95

Lurker
Dec 20, 2011
I am on T-Mobile's Galaxy S II on Gingerbread. I use the standard Android Email app to connect to Exchange and pull in my work emails. I'm looking for a way to set custom notifications (ringtone/vibrate) based on email priority/importance. Basically, when I receive a message marked as high importance, I want a ringtone that makes it stand out from regular messages. I have been able to accomplish this using Touchdown, but I don't see any way to do it in the standard Android email app, and I prefer to stick with the standard app rather than going to a 3rd party email app.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

The email app is pretty gimped, so I doubt you'll find an answer for it. What you could try doing is going to gmail on your desktop to have your gmail account pull from your other accounts, then you can start labeling what's important and what's not; the gmail app does allow for general and important notifications to be different.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this will do what you are looking for but I kind of MacGyver'd a way via Rules on my email account.

There are certain emails that I need to be aware of at all times while everything else can wait until I get to work in the morning, so I set up a Rule that automatically routes emails of normal importance to a sub-folder of my Inbox with exceptions for certain keywords in the subject or from certain people. These leaves only emails marked High Importance or emails that meet my criteria in my Inbox.

I then set the Email application to only sync my Inbox (Automatic Push and Three Day Sync). All other folders are set to No Automatic Sync. Now I only receive notifications for things that remain in my Inbox (the important stuff) but I can manually sync the sub-folder if I really don't want to wait for work the next morning.

I know this is really jimmy-rigged and may not help in your specific situation, but let me know if you have any questions or would like the specific rule I built.

EDIT: I am doing this on Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.0.2 (not sure if Email App is different for 2.3 or 2.2).

Reactions: _Aardvark
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones