• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Questions/Issues

tinausa

Aug 8, 2010
I have had Samsung Captivate for a couple of weeks.

And I have come across the following.

1. The Maps app (Google Maps) shows my location about a mile from where I really am. This despite syncing my location outside where GPS would be available. Surprised that the app does not communicate over wi-fi. Or may be there is another reason - a problem with the phone/OS. I doubt this is a problem with G Maps, since it worked just fine on my BB Bold 9000.

2. The phone display at times freezes for a few seconds when navigating across emails and other apps.

3. The POP/SMTP emails do not push as configured (every hour). Every time I go into Mail app, it goes in a circles to get the emails (and that is when I do not get communication error which is about 3 out of 5 times).

4. Tooks two weeks of pain to get CompanionLink to work to sync Outlook Contacts, Calendar and Notes.

5. There seem to be some hiccup in handover from wi-fi to cell network. I do not get good ATT signals, so wi-fi is crucial. But 2 out of 5 times, the apps do not work. This happens with various apps, and hence the reason to believe that it is a phone/OS problem. But could be wrong.

6. The battery does not even last for a day - and I mean waking hours.

7. Does not seem to b e a good way to find out how much memory is available, so at least once a day I have to either recycle the power or do a battery pull.

8. The web site www.woot.com (now owned by Amazon) invariably crashes the browser.

Will add more as I come across. If anyone has any solutions to some of these problems, please do post here. Thanks much.

1. The Maps app (Google Maps) shows my location about a mile from where I really am. This despite syncing my location outside where GPS would be available. Surprised that the app does not communicate over wi-fi. Or may be there is another reason - a problem with the phone/OS. I doubt this is a problem with G Maps, since it worked just fine on my BB Bold 9000.

Are you sure you have GPS enabled? Sounds like maps is just getting your location from the wireless network, not gps.

3. The POP/SMTP emails do not push as configured (every hour). Every time I go into Mail app, it goes in a circles to get the emails (and that is when I do not get communication error which is about 3 out of 5 times).

Are you sure you have background data and always on data enabled?

6. The battery does not even last for a day - and I mean waking hours.

Welcome to the world of smartphones. There are tons of batteyr saving thread on here, make sure you read some.

7. Does not seem to b e a good way to find out how much memory is available, so at least once a day I have to either recycle the power or do a battery pull.

You need an app like System Panel, but dont worry, the Android OS is VERY good at manging memory. You will never run out like windows.

Upvote 0
Yes, both GPS, background data and always on data are all enabled.

I also said it too soon that CompanionLink is working OK. I have appts. in Android Calendar that I cannot seem to push to dejaOffice Calendar and hence cannot push to Outlook.

As for memory loss, I will try System Panel (only if it is free). I feel duped to have to pay $40 fir CL and not be able to make it work consistently. As for memory, it seems that I have to do recycle power or batter pull at least once a day, so I am somewhat skeptical to agree that Android is so well designed to use memory more efficiently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones