• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android TCP Recieve Failure

liggerbott

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
I am connecting to a server on my network written in C#. The data sent from the android device is recieved
by the server and a reply is succesfully sent but the android code timesout and never gets the return data.

I have tested that the C# server can communicate and reply with a C# client.

I have studied the network traffic using Wireshark when using both the C# server-android client and C# server-C#
client and it appears that the android device acknowledges(ACK) the reply data but my code never recieves it.

I have the code running in a thread so running it on Android 4.0 doesn't error out but I have tried running it on
Android 2.2 with exactly the same behaviour(or lack of it). Also I have run it on 2 different android devices.

(AndroidManifest.xml)
Code:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />

(My Code)
Code:
private static final int TCP_SERVER_PORT = 3000;
private static final String TCP_SERVER_IP = "192.168.1.55";

try {
	SocketAddress socketAddress = new InetSocketAddress(serverAddr, TCP_SERVER_PORT);
	Socket s2 = new Socket();
	s2.connect(socketAddress);

BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(s2.getInputStream()));
	BufferedWriter out = new BufferedWriter(new OutputStreamWriter(s2.getOutputStream()));

//send output msg
	String outMsg = "TCP connecting to " + TCP_SERVER_PORT + System.getProperty("line.separator"); 			
	out.write(outMsg);
	out.flush();

//accept server response	
	String inMsg = in.readLine();

s2.close();

} catch (UnknownHostException e) {
		e.printStackTrace();
	} catch (IOException e) {
		e.printStackTrace();
	}

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones