• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Antenna (includes GPS), reception discussion

Like you say it, just try it out and see. I think u got 14 days to open a RMA.

I am going to wait 1-2 months and hope the price come down a little before I bite.

I can understand that. I only jumped in because of the trade-in offer they did last weekend... I can get back $100 if I send in my old phone (which you can by new at Radio Shack for $50 these days.)

BOb

Upvote 0
Thanks... I found a few crowed sourced maps wrt 1900 support and it looks like it does exist in my area.

I guess this means the FAQ sticky is incorrect since the tmo version includes 1700 GSM freq but the one you buy from HTC doesn't appear to... unless the specs on the HTC site are wrong.

BOb

The Sim Unlocked HTC One is compatible with all bands of AT&T (This and the Developers versions are basically unbranded AT&T phones) and most of T-Mobiles Bands. It does not have support for T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 1700mhz but it does support their 1900 mhz HSPA+ 21 as well as their LTE Band 4 and 17(?). I will say this though, you are better off just buying T-Mobile's Version from T-Mobile as it is the only version that will support all of their bands. You can then get T-Mobile to unlock the SIM. Call telesales and tell them you want to buy the phone outright and see if that works. Or see if they will let you pay off the phone early? Regardless I think we have now officially beaten the proverbial dead horse.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
The Sim Unlocked HTC One is compatible with all bands of AT&T (This and the Developers versions are basically unbranded AT&T phones) and most of T-Mobiles Bands. It does not have support for T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 1700mhz but it does support their 1900 mhz HSPA+ 21 as well as their LTE Band 4 and 17(?). I will say this though, you are better off just buying T-Mobile's Version from T-Mobile as it is the only version that will support all of their bands. You can then get T-Mobile to unlock the SIM. Call telesales and tell them you want to buy the phone outright and see if that works. Or see if they will let you pay off the phone early? Regardless I think we have now officially beaten the proverbial dead horse.

Not to drift too far off topic but sim unlocks on T-Mobile and AT&T are damn near impossible to get right now.
I have a friend with the T-Mobile version bought outright and they will absolutely not give it to him citing x days in service, etc etc etc...
His battle is ongoing...

My battle with AT&T..... I was able to prevail in getting an unlock but it took
intervention and a near 3 week fight.
That's a whole other story...

Now... as far as anyone can tell there may be some subtle hardware differences between the T-Mobile and AT&T versions.
This does not appear to be a matter of simply swapping radio images as it was on some Samsung phones. (Note IIRC?)

If your going to get a phone and use it on T-Mobile.. and you don't care about HSPA on AWS or LTE then an unlocked one may be for you.
Otherwise.. best to stick to the carrier variant and get S-OFF via JTAG if you really want it... or just use htcdev.

Upvote 0
If your going to get a phone and use it on T-Mobile.. and you don't care about HSPA on AWS or LTE then an unlocked one may be for you.
Otherwise.. best to stick to the carrier variant and get S-OFF via JTAG if you really want it... or just use htcdev.

Yes, t-mo told me on the phone, 60days before they will unlock even if you paid in full. While the CEO announced that that would unlock any device that was paid for in full.

Are you saying this will affect LTE as well? I thought it was only the 1700Mhz GSM freq that was missing.

All this makes me think choosing the unlocked from HTC might have not been the best choice. (I had some trouble with my credit card and couldn't get it ordered from tmo during the trade up special weekend).

While I can still switch at this point it would cost me $140. (Rather than doing that I would probably just get the Nexus 4 instead.)

That all said... is there any tmo map that shows current LTE coverage areas?

BOb

Upvote 0
Yes, t-mo told me on the phone, 60days before they will unlock even if you paid in full. While the CEO announced that that would unlock any device that was paid for in full.

Are you saying this will affect LTE as well? I thought it was only the 1700Mhz GSM freq that was missing.

All this makes me think choosing the unlocked from HTC might have not been the best choice. (I had some trouble with my credit card and couldn't get it ordered from tmo during the trade up special weekend).

While I can still switch at this point it would cost me $140. (Rather than doing that I would probably just get the Nexus 4 instead.)

BOb

Their LTE coverage is very thin.
They do not have a map that shows LTE... I have seen the new map and it does not show LTE coverage either.
I have been told that it's full of holes even in areas that they have announced as being deployed.
That is probably why there is no map to show coverage.
All you can go by is what cities have been "unveiled".

In order to use T-Mo HSPA AWS you need 1700/2100
You can't have one without the other.
One is the uplink and the other is the downlink.
The unlocked version has AWS LTE just not HSPA.

Reactions: PilotBob
Upvote 0

BOb

LTE will not be affected as the Unlocked version has AWS LTE otherwise know as band 4. Also T-Moble is migrating their 3/3.5g from 1700/2100 to 1900 so eventually it will all be 1900 (however long that will take).

Reactions: PilotBob and KOLIO
Upvote 0
LTE will not be affected as the Unlocked version has AWS LTE otherwise know as band 4.

I think this is why the the proverbial horse gets beaten over & over.The different terminology from mfgs/carriers/blogs,etc... can lead to confusion on the subject.
Carrier maps & crowd-sourced sites only help so much,if at all.

Hopefully by years end or sooner,the subject will be moot & we can leave this poor,tired horse to R.I.P. :saint: for eternity. ;)

Upvote 0
LTE will not be affected as the Unlocked version has AWS LTE otherwise know as band 4. Also T-Moble is migrating their 3/3.5g from 1700/2100 to 1900 so eventually it will all be 1900 (however long that will take).

I think I have 1900 in my area. Is that going to be HSAP+ 21 or 42?

I'm trying to talk HTC into honoring my trade in if I cancel my current order and re-order from Tmo... we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't happen I guess I'll just try out the phone here and if I don't get 3G decide then whether to lose my $100 trade-in and pay $40 tax to buy from tmo, or go with the Nexus 4 which, while not LTE does support the HSAP+ 42.

Cell phones and wireless stuff shouldn't be this complicated.

BOb

Upvote 0
I think I have 1900 in my area. Is that going to be HSAP+ 21 or 42?

I'm trying to talk HTC into honoring my trade in if I cancel my current order and re-order from Tmo... we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't happen I guess I'll just try out the phone here and if I don't get 3G decide then whether to lose my $100 trade-in and pay $40 tax to buy from tmo, or go with the Nexus 4 which, while not LTE does support the HSAP+ 42.

Cell phones and wireless stuff shouldn't be this complicated.

BOb

I think it is +21 but don't quote me on that. The 100.00 trade-in applies to a One purchased from anywhere (Carrier, unlocked, etc). So you should be able to tell HTC what the deal s then provide proof of purchase from T-mobile and keep the 100.00 trade in. Of course nothing ever is that easy. Good luck!

Upvote 0
wrt t-mobile 1900 Ghz markets I found this document:

Network Evolution | Support

Which lists the Tampa, Orlando and Providence RI markets as modernized with 1900 support. Those are the primary markets I where I will use the phone.

I also found this document which lists the current LTE markets:

4G LTE Coverage | Support

Which is VERY small. ;)

So, I would probably be fine with not having the 1700/2100 supported phone.

However, at this point I am highly thinking of just switching to the Nexus 4. I like the idea of stock android and the plethora of ROMs... (and at $349 vs $570) also there is a known hack to turn the non-certified LTE radio on. Also, it has the 1700 so would support the nationwide HSPA+ 42 of tmo which I have read can be as fast or even better than LTE in some places.

Argh... decisions/decisions. Has anyone compared the Nexus 4 to the HTC One side by side... the specs seem highly similar. Or is this the wrong thread to ask that?

BOb

Upvote 0
Brand new to the HTC One, coming from an iPhone 4.

Love the One but I have discovered a hugely annoying issue, specifically with streaming on the road.

Both Tunein and the iHeartRadio apps will drop out when on cellular. I have to assume it is due to signal strength but my question is with 4G/LTE service.

I never had a problem with my iPhone with either app, but it was 3G only which makes me think the issue is with 4G/LTE and coverage (and more importantly the handovers/shifts) as I drive or ride.

Is there any way to force the HTC One to 3G only (disable the 4G/LTE) so I can test this? I know most of the time you would want the max available bandwidth (4G) but for audio streaming, it isn't needed.

/r

Allen

Upvote 0
Go to SETTINGS > WIRELESS & NETWORKS > MOBILE DATA > NETWORK MODE & long press on NETWORK MODE.

You should now have the option of selecting which network mode works best for you.

For the AT&T version, no such option under the Mobile Data menu. Only options are "Data Roaming" Access Point Names" and "Network Operators"

I get what you are pointing toward, but that is the source of my frustration. I can't seem to find anyplace to turn off or opt out of 4G/LTE on an AT&T phone...

/r

Allen

Upvote 0
For the AT&T version, no such option under the Mobile Data menu. Only options are "Data Roaming" Access Point Names" and "Network Operators"

I get what you are pointing toward, but that is the source of my frustration. I can't seem to find anyplace to turn off or opt out of 4G/LTE on an AT&T phone...

Unfortunately, you're not going to. :(

AT&T pulled this same stunt last year on the HTC One X.

With that, the only option was to create a new APN. That would turn off 4G services - but leave the LTE radio powered up.

And even that - I think - got killed by an update to that model.

There's a service/test code setting outside of the normal menus that will let you get to the option - except on an ATT model, you can't make the setting stick even when you can see it.

The only solution that I think you'll really find is to find a rom with a 4G toggle appropriate to the ATT model, root and apply that.

Sorry.

Upvote 0
WOW,that seems a bit odd.The option to choose NETWORK MODE on the T-MOBILE variant is sandwiched right below ACCESS POINT NAMES & above NETWORK OPERATORS.

THX for the info on AT&T EarlyMon!

I'm guessing the SPRINT variant is set-up the same way as the T-MOBILE variant.

Anyone w/ SPRINT to verify this?

THX. :)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, you're not going to. :(

AT&T pulled this same stunt last year on the HTC One X.

With that, the only option was to create a new APN. That would turn off 4G services - but leave the LTE radio powered up.

And even that - I think - got killed by an update to that model.

There's a service/test code setting outside of the normal menus that will let you get to the option - except on an ATT model, you can't make the setting stick even when you can see it.

The only solution that I think you'll really find is to find a rom with a 4G toggle appropriate to the ATT model, root and apply that.

Sorry.

Now this really pisses me off...

Glad I went to Android OS with it's infinite customizable platform compared to iOS....:mad:

I use my phone to stream audio 5x more than I use it for anything else. I thought I did my due diligence prior to the shift and though I was willing to give up the integration of iOS (with vehicles, devices, accessories etc) to gain a better screen and the ability to customize.

Thanks AT&T...

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
This handy app will get you to your radio setups, regardless of brand, setup options or test codes - this is the path to where it all happens -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mangelow.network

Don't touch anything other than the drop-down for "Preferred network type."

Write down what you had first in case you choose a setting that borks your phone.

It's possible that ATT overlooked this on the One and you can turn off LTE and have it stick on this version of the One - I just really, really doubt it.

Upvote 0
Yeah.. and it's actually bugged.
If you go into the 4636 menu it will actually change it from GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto to WCDMA preferred on occasion.

The trick to avoid that is to not use the back key but tap home.
Going into that menu I have put myself back on HSPA more times than I can count because of that bug.

Edit:
Also note that it seems that the order of preference is wrong too.
The order of GSM/WCDMA/LTE is in reverse.. it prefers LTE, then WCDMA, then GSM (EDGE)
That may be a nit pick but you would think that the comboform would list this in order of preference.

Reactions: EarlyMon and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I've been recording videos of my experiments.. as opposed to my creations and repairs so being destructive is a new thing...

Anyhow i'm about to record a short vid on how to do it for all my One peeps but instead of waiting for the video tour you can do this...

DISCLAIMER:
Mucking about in the radio menu can cause BAD PROBLEMS.
Do NOT do this if you don't feel up to it.
If you still want to do it.... proceed...

1. Open the dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*
2. Tap "Phone Information"
3. look for "set preferred network type" and change the comboform to read
"WCDMA preferred"
Note this will set the phone to operate on HSPA and GSM (EDGE/GPRS) only!!!
4. tap the "home" key

Again, you do this at your own risk... mucking about with anything else in that menu can cause you bad, bad problems!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yeah.. and it's actually bugged.
If you go into the 4636 menu it will actually change it from GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto to WCDMA preferred on occasion.

The trick to avoid that is to not use the back key but tap home.
Going into that menu I have put myself back on HSPA more times than I can count because of that bug.

Edit:
Also note that it seems that the order of preference is wrong too.
The order of GSM/WCDMA/LTE is in reverse.. it prefers LTE, then WCDMA, then GSM (EDGE)
That may be a nit pick but you would think that the comboform would list this in order of preference.

Also a bit lost... I understand W-CDMA/GSM/LTE but are you referring to the Network app EM referred to??

/r

Allen

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones