• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ANybody get a replacement shipped? Are there refurbs yet?

Sorry man, your wrong on the retun rate! I know 3 people that have the phone, one is my Lady and she is on her 3rd because of various issues and the other is my (contact) who low and behold is a verizon employee,and is already on his 2nd within 3 days. Take a look at how many people on this Forum alone have had to do atleast 1 exchange! Seriously, some are on they're 4th/5th phone...THAT IS NUTS! You seem like a cool cat, I see alot of your posts and they usually shed some light on either helping a problem, or just giving out friendly advice, but on this topic right here, I have to side with the notion that HTC could have, should have, but didn't build a better phone then the 1 year old EVO...Most of last years build quality issues that were present on the EVO are alive and well on the TB.

I'm not going to say there aren't build quality issues with this phone, there most definetly are. All I was trying to point out is that the amount of returns I'm seeing is consistant with what we saw when the OG Droid first came out. I personally knew two people who had to return 4 phones each before the got a working one.

Again not trying to take away from the problems you and others have had, and I realize how frustrating it can be to get a new toy like this and not have it working correctly. I was simply trying to offer some perspective. I've been very lucky with electronics and haven't ever had to return any for build quality or other issues. I do know though that it does happen, sometimes it is luck of the draw.

No hard feelings my man, you seem like a cool cat as well. Would love to buy you a beer sometime :) . I hope I'm not coming across as some fanboy, I know that this phone has it's short comings (most phones will have them). I also know that there are some very big build quality issues with this first batch. I really do hope you get everything straight though, as I do love the phone and think you will too once you get one that doesn't suck. :)

Upvote 0
The only issue this one has is a buzzing/rattle on haptic feedback, but I can and will live with that.

The "buzzer" is actually exposed on the back of the phone with the battery cover off, make sure this isnt a stray piece of plastic where the cutout is on the inside of the back cover. Its right above the center of the top of the battery. You will see it.

I did notice that one the part number on my replacement phone the part number ended in a -01 instead of -00 so maybe there is some sort of fix there.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to say there aren't build quality issues with this phone, there most definetly are. All I was trying to point out is that the amount of returns I'm seeing is consistant with what we saw when the OG Droid first came out. I personally knew two people who had to return 4 phones each before the got a working one.

Again not trying to take away from the problems you and others have had, and I realize how frustrating it can be to get a new toy like this and not have it working correctly. I was simply trying to offer some perspective. I've been very lucky with electronics and haven't ever had to return any for build quality or other issues. I do know though that it does happen, sometimes it is luck of the draw.

No hard feelings my man, you seem like a cool cat as well. Would love to buy you a beer sometime :) . I hope I'm not coming across as some fanboy, I know that this phone has it's short comings (most phones will have them). I also know that there are some very big build quality issues with this first batch. I really do hope you get everything straight though, as I do love the phone and think you will too once you get one that doesn't suck. :)

No way bro...zero hard feelings taken. Believe me I know its the luck of the draw these days...my Brother is as equally into all this tech stuff as I am, and never ever has an issue. We can both go into a store buy the same exact phone, his will be perfect, mine will have 5 dead pixels, a camera flash that doesn't work, and dust under the screen....Lmaoooo! Anyway It's all good my man, I understand your point 100%...

However,,, I still love the Phone, I can't put it down, Gimme the new version of sense and gingerbread and I'll be good for a while.

Reactions: ska.t73
Upvote 0
No way bro...zero hard feelings taken. Believe me I know its the luck of the draw these days...my Brother is as equally into all this tech stuff as I am, and never ever has an issue. We can both go into a store buy the same exact phone, his will be perfect, mine will have 5 dead pixels, a camera flash that doesn't work, and dust under the screen....Lmaoooo! Anyway It's all good my man, I understand your point 100%...

However,,, I still love the Phone, I can't put it down, Gimme the new version of sense and gingerbread and I'll be good for a while.

LOL, yea nature of tech these days it seems. I will second the gingerbread and new sense. Didn't think I would like sense at all (I'm an OG Droid vanillia android guy), but it is growing on me...

Upvote 0
LOL, yea nature of tech these days it seems. I will second the gingerbread and new sense. Didn't think I would like sense at all (I'm an OG Droid vanillia android guy), but it is growing on me...

I been peepin that LG GX2 that's coming to Tmo....wow, that thing is ridiculous! Dual core, straight vanilla Google experience, and a perfectly sized 4 inch screen...I'm a little jealous that the VZW LG revolution isn't following with the same specs. That straight Google UI is a beautiful thing...However I'll take sense,,,For now...lol

Upvote 0
At this point I doubt they will have refurbished units. What you will get is a service unit, It will be a phone with no battery or sim or SD card in a little brown box. Its new just not in retail boxing. I got an EVO this way and if you go into settings you can check if its a refurb or new, mine was a new unit.

Where would you be able to find that information?

Upvote 0
Verizon customer service is a joke, I've had so many problems with my phone, I love the phone but the problems with it is very frustrating. So I didn't buy this phone from Verizon, bought it off Craigslist, its a NEW phone, i verified with Verizon and it was never activated before. They first told me when I activated the phone that it would still have the one year manufacture's warranty because I was the first to use the phone (activated on verizon). And now with my problems I can't even get them to send me a replacement! I told them I didn't care if it was a certified preowned as long as it worked. Even with that I still couldn't get them to send me a replacement.

What irritates me the most is back with my Droid X days, they fed me the store that I couldn't get a replacement because the warranty expired since i swapped phones with another friend, and the manufacture's warranty only applies to the first owner. After arguing with many different people they finally sent me a replacement. This time around the tables have turned and I"m still getting the same bull from Verizon.

So my only option now is to talk to the customer support with HTC, they were closed already but I'm talking to them tomorrow hopefully they can send me a replacement.

Enough ranting.

If anyone has any suggestions to try and get a replacement since from what I've read you all have had a fair share of replacements ;)

Upvote 0
Verizon customer service is a joke, I've had so many problems with my phone, I love the phone but the problems with it is very frustrating. So I didn't buy this phone from Verizon, bought it off Craigslist, its a NEW phone, i verified with Verizon and it was never activated before. They first told me when I activated the phone that it would still have the one year manufacture's warranty because I was the first to use the phone (activated on verizon). And now with my problems I can't even get them to send me a replacement! I told them I didn't care if it was a certified preowned as long as it worked. Even with that I still couldn't get them to send me a replacement.

What irritates me the most is back with my Droid X days, they fed me the store that I couldn't get a replacement because the warranty expired since i swapped phones with another friend, and the manufacture's warranty only applies to the first owner. After arguing with many different people they finally sent me a replacement. This time around the tables have turned and I"m still getting the same bull from Verizon.

So my only option now is to talk to the customer support with HTC, they were closed already but I'm talking to them tomorrow hopefully they can send me a replacement.

Enough ranting.

If anyone has any suggestions to try and get a replacement since from what I've read you all have had a fair share of replacements ;)

Well finally spoke to someone at Verizon that was able to help me, they are shipping me out a replacement today. I'll let you know tomorrow when i finally get it in.

Upvote 0
Well finally spoke to someone at Verizon that was able to help me, they are shipping me out a replacement today. I'll let you know tomorrow when i finally get it in.

I finally got my replacement and it looks brand new, normally CPO (certified pre owned) come with a sticker stating that, but this was in a small little brown box.

So yeah looks like they are sending new ones instead of CPO

Upvote 0
I just got a replacement phone yesterday. I tend to do this everytime I purchase a smart phone...why? Who knows, just to see if future builds have something different I guess. But anyhow, their replacement phones never come with batteries etc. You always have to use your old battery and door. But if it is certified-like new, aka refurb, there are two ways to see this:

1) The packing slip.
2) A sticker on the screen of the phone that says "CERTIFIED LIKE NEW"

and an optional third way is, where the battery goes there will be a quality sticker that says refurb on it. The phone I got , had none of this. It was new. Still had all of the same stickers my new device had, just no battery or door.

Hope this helps someone. Also, another tip, if it's within the first 30 days, they typically send you a new one...returns don't have that quick of a turn around as far as I have been told.

And Verizon customer service, all of you complaining, it's call centers! If one sucks..hang up..call again. You will get your way. Always. It's like Burger King without the onion rings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones