• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody have any theories about why WiFi breaks ActiveSync?

Displacedmic

Mar 26, 2011
Hi guys,
I have been having some trouble getting my Gmail to work as an Exchange mailbox using the stock Mail app. I don't want to use the Gmail app or K9 because my work address doesn't play nice with either (obviously because it's not gmail but our exchange doesn't seem to be compatible with k9 either)

That being said, the stock mail app has come a long way and everything works pretty well. Except wifi eventually stops working for some reason. Turning off my wifi radio resolves it 100% of the time. Yet with WiFi on invariably I eventually get the ActivieSync authorization error. To remedy this i just go into the settings and hit save without changing anything a few times and eventually it works again.

Not a big deal, but i'm stumped as to why WiFi is causing the problem. Don't think it's network settings as this happens at home and at work.

thoughts?

thanks!
:p

I can tell you that from my experience, it may be related to security settings. I had my Cox email set up with Native app (via POP/SMTP) for about a year and then all of a sudden it stopped working one day when I was connected via Wi-Fi on a network other than a Cox network. So at home, it worked fine, but connected to other Wi-Fi's it wouldn't work, but worked 100% on 3G. Checked settings and noticed I wasn't using SSL. Changed it to use SSL and then I was able to work 100% of the time on Wi-Fi networks.

I know my scenario is a little different as I wasn't using gmail, but it hopefully will give you a little insight and hope it helps too!

Upvote 0
thanks for posting - and lol @ your awesome username
welcome to the forums!

i don't actually think that's my problem. i notice this problem everywhere - at home and at work... also i have checked ssl so unfortunately that's not it either.

however in checking i did notice that it's not really behaving like a proper ActiveSync account should - it says "push" but really what it's doing i syncing every second.

this can't be right.

i went into accounts and sync, into the account in question and seriously every second it syncs. my other exchange account doesn't do that so obviously something is wrong.

anyone have any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones