• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Anyone had success changing boot animation?

Root explorer is one of 2 or 3 root apps like titanium backup and setcpu that are musts for the mod-ing crowd
So true. In fact, I have any entire homescreen dedicated to stuff like this:
snap20101018_122347.png

And for the record I recommend everything on this screen to one and all

Upvote 0
So true. In fact, I have any entire homescreen dedicated to stuff like this:
snap20101018_122347.png

And for the record I recommend everything on this screen to one and all

thats exactly what i do. one of my screens is the "root/system app" screen. im not big on folder organizers or anything (except with the miui rom on my inc) so i just dedicate a screen with everything i use alot, along with a separate games screen. occasionally i ll use multicon and lp to make a small 4x4 widget of them and keep it on the same screen as my calendar when i go down from 5 to 3 screens, as i get restless and reorganize every day or so.

Upvote 0
thats exactly what i do. one of my screens is the "root/system app" screen. im not big on folder organizers or anything (except with the miui rom on my inc) so i just dedicate a screen with everything i use alot, along with a separate games screen. occasionally i ll use multicon and lp to make a small 4x4 widget of them and keep it on the same screen as my calendar when i go down from 5 to 3 screens, as i get restless and reorganize every day or so.
Great Minds thing alike. Yeah I have one root/bench screen, one for sports, one for news/info, 2 for games, one for utility's but I keep my main home screen blank other than the BW small weather widget

Upvote 0
i got it to work guys! have no idea why it didnt work the first time, did it again via ADB and worked perfectly...???? gotta hate the unexplainable ones...LOL
Well at least you're in the club now james. The interesting thing will be if you can switch them out easily now. Seems thats what we're going to be keeping ourselves busy with for the next few days; bootzips. At least until the weekend hits and Dirrk jumps back on that 1300kernel :D

Upvote 0
already switched it out a couple times once i got it working, i loaded the windows 7 one in the thread here, which was my second attempt, and it worked, so then i started looking...and finally settled on the android skribble one linked to at xda
Cool Beans. Now are you switching it via adb everytime or via RE yet? Apparently there's a market app which does this same thing and its literally called bootanimation something or other

Upvote 0
Help, smart people!! I copied a new bootanimation.zip file into data/local after erasing the old one.

I even reflashed my cusom kernal and did the process again, this time putting it in both the system/media folder and data/local folder. Same result.

It now switches between the new one and the old one during boot! I made sure I erased all traces that I could find. Do I have to erase the other bootanimation files, namely the bootanimation.2nd file and the bootanimation file without the extension?

Will it mess up my phone if I delete them?

Upvote 0
Help, smart people!! I copied a new bootanimation.zip file into data/local after erasing the old one.

I even reflashed my cusom kernal and did the process again, this time putting it in both the system/media folder and data/local folder. Same result.

It now switches between the new one and the old one during boot! I made sure I erased all traces that I could find. Do I have to erase the other bootanimation files, namely the bootanimation.2nd file and the bootanimation file without the extension?

If you delete every last thing bootanim related at worst you'll just have a black/blank screen during boot. Also are you using RE or adb to put these on?

Upvote 0

Figured it out. Boy do I feel ... stupid. Will report after testing again. Wish me luck!!

Upvote 0
SirKronan, it won't mess you up to delete them.

JamesNMandy, where did you end up copying to? Did you delete any others?

i copied to /data/local using ADB

i did not remove what was there, ADB seems to overwrite by default, or there's several bootanimation(1).zip, bootanimation(2).zip, bootanimation(3).zip in my /data/local directory..LOL

ill find out one day, but its not causing any issues for me

Upvote 0
There certainly seems to be moderate problems a number of guys are having getting certain bootzips to work at certain times:(

Well, I did an Odin restore. It's so easy to start fresh on a google phone. The phone is fast, and everything is backed up on my google accounts and SD card. And paid apps get re-downloaded for free!!

I'm doing that OTA update before rooting since I might as well. I'll re-root and setup everything and try my custom boot animation again. I've got the stock one going now again at least, after the restore.

Upvote 0
Well, I did an Odin restore. It's so easy to start fresh on a google phone. The phone is fast, and everything is backed up on my google accounts and SD card. And paid apps get re-downloaded for free!!

I'm doing that OTA update before rooting since I might as well. I'll re-root and setup everything and try my custom boot animation again. I've got the stock one going now again at least, after the restore.
Yeah it is nice that the Market is linked thru your gmail so it will remember what you paid for already. Once you get up and running you will now have another temptation [RELEASE] BareBones Kernel TEST20 w/ BLN + Voodoo color fix - xda-developers So many choices now. In your case right now since you dont have voodoo it might be worth considering. But whatever you decide is fine.

Upvote 0
Yeah it is nice that the Market is linked thru your gmail so it will remember what you paid for already. Once you get up and running you will now have another temptation [RELEASE] BareBones Kernel TEST20 w/ BLN + Voodoo color fix - xda-developers So many choices now. In your case right now since you dont have voodoo it might be worth considering. But whatever you decide is fine.

Ok. Did Odin restore (including kernal and restore files). Did OTA update. Did clockwork mod. Did SV 1200 kernal install. For some reason, all the old stuff came back to my phone.

And now I've lost root. Permanently as far as I can tell. Superuser won't install. None of my root-required apps can see it. The one click doesn't work. The command line root method doesn't work. I'm REALLY getting frustrated with this piece of crap .... I can see the Windows 7 boot animation, but how the hell did that get back on my phone after all the restoring and re-doing everything?? What do I have to do now?? How can I get root back???? ARG!!

Edit: forgot to mention what it says when I run the command "adb install superuser.apk" - it says that the update is incompatible. I tried installing the latest APK in my phone and it would take. Arg.

Upvote 0
Ok. Did Odin restore (including kernal and restore files). Did OTA update. Did clockwork mod. Did SV 1200 kernal install. For some reason, all the old stuff came back to my phone.

And now I've lost root. Permanently as far as I can tell. Superuser won't install. None of my root-required apps can see it. The one click doesn't work. The command line root method doesn't work. I'm REALLY getting frustrated with this piece of crap .... I can see the Windows 7 boot animation, but how the hell did that get back on my phone after all the restoring and re-doing everything?? What do I have to do now?? How can I get root back???? ARG!!

Edit: forgot to mention what it says when I run the command "adb install superuser.apk" - it says that the update is incompatible. I tried installing the latest APK in my phone and it would take. Arg.

wow that sounds like a lot going on. I recall when I had problems with mine and I flashed odin a bunch of times, and wiped in recovery and system, when i rebooted like random stuff was still there. Wallpapers, lp, icons, etc that shouldnt have been there.

what eventually worked for me (although for a different problem) wipe in system, wipe in regular recovery, and factory reset in clockwork...flash pit/system, kernel, and clockwork recovery. boot to clockwork, ran adb command to completely remove voodoo and reboot.

im sure thats an ass-backwards way of doing stuff, but i was back to stock that way. with root and recovery

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones